Glow in the dark football for nephew grouted Done

mermaidmosaicsNovember 3, 2008

It took me forever to get started on this belated birthday present for my nephew because I knew I wanted to make a football using the scroll saw I got for my birthday. Well it took me many trys but there it is. MDF board with glow in the dark baby blue tile I got from Maryland Mosaics, and glow in the dark Premo clay for his name and cheer. , I tried the dry grout routine and ended up improvising with charcoal, gray and white mixed in together and I'm pleased with how it turned out.

I finished the tiles yesterday, the grout today and just need to seal and then maybe coat with acrylic and get it in the mail.. It's amazing to me how long it takes me to come up with an idea on what to do , and then the actual work didn't take half as long, at least for this small project.

Here it is. and surprise, DH took the pix with me on a tripod and turned the flash off, and we got it in the dark, glowing!!! Cool.. since I can't figure out how to post individual pix from flickr yet, you will also be able to see the upstairs bathroom with glow in the dark backsplash!

Here is a link that might be useful: glow in dark football

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terikat_mom

So cool! Your nephew will love it! What a special gift.

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 9:58PM
Calamity_J

That is REALLY Neat!!! Love the glow tiles!!! And your backsplach glows too...Cool!!! Your Mermaid sink is just beautiful, and did you make the pin up board yourself too!! Lovely! That sink is awesome too!!! I'd love to have a sink like that!

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 11:27PM
silvamae

He will LOVE it! Very cool.

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 11:27PM
texaswild

You're something else. You really go to town on your ideas. That is REALLY unique, and he w/LOVE it. It was nice to see your album again. Hadn't seen that WONDERFUL Fish Lips. Very clever.

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 9:04AM
mermaidmosaics

Thanks Terikat and Silva, I can't wait to send it to him. WIsh I could see his face when he discovers it's glow in the dark..

Calamity, yes, I fell in love with the glow in the dark tile I got from Maryland Mosaics, and bought it specifically for our bathrooms. I hated having the water splash on our walls, and didn't want to do the whole wall so thought i would try this. Really happy how it turned out and it.

Slow, you are such a doll to say such nice things.

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 10:16AM
mermaidmosaics

Jane,

I forgot, no I didnt' make the bulletin board, wish i was more handy with tools, but think it really needs another dose of the sea with a few little fishes,.. but my list is growing ever longer so don't know when I will get to this one.

next wip mosaic our front post
then mosaic a surfboard
then on to an ever growing list will it ever end, you seasoned mosaic ers??

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 2:33PM
katishooked

What a cool football. I love it mermaid.

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 6:33PM
lovemosaics

The perfect gift for a boy! what a fun project too. You did so good!!

Bookmark   November 7, 2008 at 1:35AM
More Discussions
some mushrooms done
Hi, Here's some mushrooms that I made and mosaic'd....
lyndalu
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
new floral
small new piece, 6" x 6.5" I'm calling it...
nicethyme
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™