help please!! 2 ground wires???

cathie2029June 15, 2013

So I have an outlet with a black, a white and a ground (copper). Bought a new outdoor fixture and it has a black, a white and TWO(?) ground wires.. Not sure what there's two and how do i connect these? I know to wrap the ground from the outlet to the ground screw , but what about the fixture's two copper wires? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cathie2029

Here's another pic

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 7:24PM
petey_racer

This fixture needs to be mounted to a box.
If you have a black, white and ground in that box you connect white to white, black to black, and all three grounds together.

You keep referring to "outlet". Do you just mean the box, or is there actually a receptacle in the box?

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 9:55PM
llaatt22

The two ground wires are to make sure both large pieces that make up the light fixture remain safety grounded to the same point within the house electrical box providing the power at all times. Possible reasons: just electrical code regulations, or the light housing and the wall portion could made of different metals and need to be electrically isolated to prevent corrosion so two wires are needed, or they are made of different metals but not electrically isolated and will eventually corrode where they are in contact so two separate ground wires are needed.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 12:18AM
More Discussions
Ceiling fan wiring
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™