Best suggestion for repairing a repair?

rjingaDecember 13, 2009

I puchased this neat old basin stand (not sure what's it real name is) but it holds a bowl and pitcher and as you can see has a mirror and a place for candles, it's missing the side handles that would hold the towels...

anyway, I just finished it with RAF and it really looks great, CEPT for that pesky little area that apparently has been repaired sometime in it's previous life and has come apart.

I'm guessing it was just a bad allignment and bad glue job, and HAD it been done with clamps etc to hold it in place, it probably would not have come apart. So now how can I remove it and redo it? without damaging it further?

I have tried to pull it together, but since it's glued to the one side, it's not budging.

Hopefully it's clear enough in this picture where the damage is

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That's no repair, it is the original glue joint. If it is still sound, don't worry about it.

    Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 1:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think it is sound, but there is noticeable gap. would it be reasonable to fill the gap somehow with something? or would that mess it up?

    Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 8:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It appears that the extra pieces on each edge are there to reduce the width requirement on the long side pieces, but fill in the radius. Whether or not the glue joint has failed and been repaired or is original is sort of irrelevant. Because of the width of the miter, it is likely to open and close seasonally as the wood expands and contracts with moisture change.

Depending upon the glue used, warm water or warm water with vinegar may soften it. But you will have a hard time getting it back together perfectly and an equally hard time clamping it into position. I'd be tempted to just leave it, based on the photos.

If you want to fill the gap, the quick and dirty solution is a wax stick.

Here is a link that might be useful: usign a wax stick

    Bookmark   December 14, 2009 at 2:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"If you want to fill the gap, the quick and dirty solution is a wax stick."

If the gap moves with humidity during the year, anything more permanent than a wax stick is likely to cause breakage in other locations as the wood swells and the crack is solidly filled.

At least the wax stick in the crack will be squeezed out if the joint closes with little chance of further damage.

    Bookmark   December 16, 2009 at 3:07PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
Installing new deck door
I've ordered and received a new custom pre-hung deck...
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™