Bulletin board material?

bobismyuncleDecember 5, 2007

I'd like to make a bulletin board for push pins and magnetic white board for Christmas gifts. I'm looking for something roughly 24"x30"

I am wondering whether fabric-wrapped celotex board would work OK for the push pins, or would it be too soft?

I am also scratching my head as to what material to use for the white board. Is there such a thing as melamine or enamel coated sheet steel? If so, where would I find it. I saw kitchen back splash material at Lowe's but it was aluminum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raisedin99

Turnabout is fair play, you answered my query and I felt I owe you one... have you given any thought to using HOMASOTE ? If you wish it can be covered with fabric to give a nicer appearance...

also as to the white board, I used a white bath paneling for my garage walls that doubles as a dry erase surface. it appears to be painted masonite...

raisedin99

Bookmark   December 6, 2007 at 8:37AM
bobismyuncle

I have used melamine covered Masonite for several white boards. Cheap enough at $10 a 4x8 sheet. However, I need to be able to attach magnets to it. A few years ago, I made a similar board for my church. The person that requested it done found a place to buy a flexible material that was magnetic and white board. It came rolled up and I applied it using a clay-based wall paper paste. However it was dreadfully expensive, something like $100 for the 4'x6' we needed. My next stop is an appliance parts store to see if they sell appliance panels, like dishwasher front inserts, for a reasonable price.

I will check out the Homasote, though. Thanks.

Bookmark   December 6, 2007 at 5:24PM
izzie

For the push pin boards, my mom made one using some left over suspended ceiling panels covered with fabric.

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 1:19PM
bobismyuncle

Thanks. I was looking at the homosote, then found some pieces of closed cell foam that I have around. I think we're going to wrap it in fabric and frame it.

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 5:05PM
bobismyuncle

I gave the ceiling panel some more thought and decided to go with it. Stopped at Lowe's today and saw box after box labeled, "Sold by the Carton Only." Drat.

My wife had some time to kill between work and a meeting, so she stopped at Home Depot, where they had a whole pile of damaged ones, labeled 52 cents/sq.ft. She grabbed a nice one and when she went to check out, they hemmed and hawed, then said they could not sell her just one. So they gave it to her. (!)

Bookmark   December 17, 2007 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
black lacquer touch-up
how do i touch-up black lacquer furniture? Small areas...
laurenjay
Need help with staining alder cabinets
Can someone share with me the right way to stain the...
aktillery9
Anyone have experience with Charles Neil's Preconditioner?
I just ordered it and am wondering if anyone has used...
aktillery9
southern yellow pine ceilings - how to tone down yellow
Hi, all. We are currently building: natural cherry...
hjs
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Sponsored Products
Bruck | Priority Track Spot
$367.50 | YLighting
AICO Furniture - After Eight 7 Piece King Upholstered Bedroom Set...
Great Furniture Deal
Contain Rainwater Modular Slim Line Harvesting Wall - CR601001
$199.98 | Hayneedle
Michigan Wolverines Picnic Cutting Board Set
$26.99 | zulily
Jofran 329-1 3 Piece Coffee Table Set in Skyline Merlot
Beyond Stores
Elegant Backgammon Set - 1823
$49.86 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™