Can someone please tell me what kind of wood this is?

lucille49December 6, 2008

This is an older set of Thomasville furniture (Prestige Collection). I was told that it was oak but I'm just not buying that. I would prefer a darker wood in our bedroom and am considering staining it. Should I stain it or pass it on to someone that can appreciate it's beauty the way it is?

Thanks so much for any input!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

I think it's ash and ash burl panels.
Casey

Bookmark   December 6, 2008 at 10:34PM
dan_martyn

Not an expert here but looks like oak with burl oak panels. I'd take one of the drawers into a professional refinisher with the pics and ask what it would cost to refinish. You could go darker without hiding the grain.

Bookmark   December 10, 2008 at 4:00PM
bobismyuncle

Oak and ash look very similar from a distance, both being ring-porous woods. Ash tends to have a whiter tone (unless you get some dark heartwood). Red oak tends to have reds, yellows, and often some blacks in it (I was once told there were 35 different color gradings for red oak). White oak tends to be browner. But all that said, any wood can have all the color bleached out of it.

The way I tell is to look for medullary rays. Ash has none, red oak shorter ones and white oak longer ones. What medullary rays look like depends upon the orientation of the wood as cut from the log, as the rays go radially. Plainsawn will show just short lines, quarter or rift sawn will show large figure.

Bookmark   December 10, 2008 at 7:08PM
sombreuil_mongrel

And just for spite, this piece is totally mitered everywhere without a square inch of end-grain to be examined for rays. A close-up and personal examination would sort it out, though. Look at the back of the dresser, the wood and finish might be labeled or chalked there. Like "mahogany, colonial" "walnut, provincial" or "oak, natural"
Casey

Bookmark   December 10, 2008 at 8:17PM
lucille49

Thank you all so much for the information. It was good to hear someone suggest that it could be stained. I don't know anything about wood and it appears to be a nice set - I would prefer to stain it instead of replacing it. Thanks again!

Bookmark   December 11, 2008 at 1:24PM
ci_lantro

You gotta' strip the old finish off before you can stain it. A lot of work for DIY, expensive to hire a refinisher. Best to just pass it on to someone who will love it for the color it is.

Bookmark   December 11, 2008 at 6:40PM
barrell

The frames are red oak. I dont know what the veneer panels are but they are nice and I like the color just the way it is.

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™