Can oak be stained a darker brown?

quandaryDecember 19, 2010

I've found an oak butcherblock table on Craigs List. It has that golden color. I refinished my mahogany cabinets using a cherry mahogany stain - not much red -- mostly brown. I have applied that stain (Gemini Gem Glo) to oak before, but it didn't darken. I understand that mahogany and oak have different grains and will never match, but is it possible to achieve the same color on oak? Since it's butcherblock, I'm thinking the oak grain won't be as obvious. Before I purchase this table, I'd appreciate your advice as to whether I could make it blend in my kitchen.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Stain nwill not work on finished wood. Getting the finish off oak is very difficult because of the grain.

Gel stains are basically paint, but still need more than a finish to which to stick.

Can what you ask be done? Yes.

Will it be easy? No.

Will you be able to do it? Depends on how much time you want to put in. Many hours and a huge mess make it less attractive.

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 10:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quandary

handymac -- thanks for explaining that. I've stripped lots of wood, but I guess the finish penetrates the porous oak, so you can't really sand it all off. I think I'll keep looking for another table...

Bookmark   December 20, 2010 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™