Matching custom stain on damaged areas

klugfamilyDecember 13, 2009

My kitchen was done 7 years ago and had a custom stain applied to the cabinets. The quarter round at the base of the cabinets has taken a beating in some of high traffic areas (see photos) and I would like it redone. The finisher is no longer in business so I need another option. Anyone have a DIY idea, or know of a good stain guy in the Orange County, CA area?

Thanks for any info you can provide.


Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

have you tried Restore a Finish? It would be an inexpensive attempt, it might work for you? about $8 a can, so worth a try.

    Bookmark   December 13, 2009 at 9:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I wouldn't use Restor-A-Finish on modern cabinets. RAF is meant to dissolve antique finishes such as lacquer, shellac, or varnish, and if you use it, you can't topcoat with polyurethane.

I suggest that you take one of your cabinet doors into a good woodworking shop and ask what they recommend. They may be able to give you the name of a local refinisher, if you don't feel confident doing the work yourself.

    Bookmark   December 20, 2009 at 4:52PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
Installing new deck door
I've ordered and received a new custom pre-hung deck...
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™