Refinishing rough veneer on kitchen cabinets

ranch57December 16, 2008

I'd like to do some work on our kitchen cabinets to protect them. We just bought this older house a year ago, and this is my first experience with unpainted wood cabinets. The doors (particleboard), drawer fronts and face-frames (plywood) - are covered with a wild-grained oak veneer which was stained a orangeish colour. Some surfaces are still smooth, but most of the doors have a slightly rough texture (when I brush my fingers across the grain) which I think indicates the finish has worn off at least partly. Also, most of the doors had lots of fingerprint stains which I've mostly been able to clean off. I think its been years since they've had any attention.

I'm wondering if there are steps I can take to further protect the surface? Could I just put some polyurethane or some other finish on the doors, or do they need to be lightly sanded first? Should I wax them or something like that? I'm not sure what the current finish is. We'll eventually replace the doors or even all the cabinetry, but other parts of the house need more attention. So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to protect the surfaces over the next 5-10 years. Happy to do the work, so long as costs are relatively minimal.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texasredhead

Depending on the roughness, it may be possible to smooth out the surfaces with fine steel wool. Depending on the depth of the color, any abrasive action may change the color. You can further clean the surfaces and remove any old wax by cleaning the surfaces with mineral spirits. Once this has been accomplished you could seal the surfaces with polyurethane. It will probably require a couple of coats with steel wooling with 2/0 between coats.

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
Installing new deck door
I've ordered and received a new custom pre-hung deck...
africanboy
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™