help on removing laminate or covering it up with wood putty and

mojojojogrlnjDecember 10, 2007

I bought a vintage piece that the laminat was peeling most of the laminate off only to find another section of wood glued down not smooth at all how can I either remove this without chipping piece up or how can I just use wood putty to fill then apply a thin piece of plywood to be able to finish it...(ie what kind of wood putty would you use)and what type of plywood would i use thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I sounds like you are simply removing the top layer of plywood, assuming the "laminate" is wood and not a Formica-type product. If you have not veneered before, you might be better off gluing on a sheet of 1/8" baltic birch plywood (this comes in 5' x 5' sheets). You can glue this down with contact cement as if it was Formica, trim the edges, then sand and finish the top.

If it is small enough, you can get peel & stick veneer that you can easily put down and trim the edges.

    Bookmark   December 10, 2007 at 6:24PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Fence construction & what to use for finish
My fence is coming along nicely! Started last fall...
protecting black walnut salt and pepper mill
Hi all, Just got a set of gorgeous discontinued William...
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
southern yellow pine ceilings - how to tone down yellow
Hi, all. We are currently building: natural cherry...
Sponsored Products
Fresca Contento 43 Espresso Modern Bathroom Vanity w/ Mirror
Hudson Reed
Homelegance Maitland 7 Piece Glass Top Dining Room Set w/ Beech Wood Legs
Beyond Stores
Casa Cortes Wrought Iron 32-bottle Wine Holder Rack
Rustic Style Solid Wood Base Floor Lamp With Bamboo Shade
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LA Rugs Super Shag Snow White 39 in. x 58 in.
Home Depot
Tower 30-Inch Oxidized Metal Wall Mounted Clock
$184.30 | Bellacor
Robert Abbey Oliver Mango Wood Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
SuperArchimoon Floor Lamp by Flos Lighting
$9,995.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™