Refinish Issue - Mother of Pearl Inlays

gpraceman55December 5, 2013

I got a decent oak pool table off of Craig's List and wanted to refinish it. Currently, it has several scratches and some magic marker on it. The rails have mother of pearl inlay dots. Do I need to mask or otherwise protect the inlays from the stain or will they repel the stain naturally?

I was looking to do a light sanding and then apply a gel stain. However, I will wipe off the excess stain. I've had good results refinishing an oak cabinet in that manner. It darkened the wood just enough and left the wood grain visible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klem1

I suggest addressing the inlay then masking it off before starting the wood. The compisition of the inlay is uncertain but can be handled the same regardless. If the inlay suits you as is,just mask off until refinish is complete. If you would like it to be brighter,machine buff with polishing compound then hand buff with finesse-it or simlar. If inlay has scratches that can be seen by naked eye,buff with buffing compound before polishing compound. Mask inlay and chemicaly clean wood (esp near inlay) before sanding.

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™