pantry shelves, enough support?

lightlystarchedDecember 2, 2007

I have a 3'x6' pantry area. I'd like to install a "U" of open shelves (2 3' sides and 6' along the back) 12" deep. I'd like to install a ledger of 1x2 or 1x3 along the back and sides, and 3 brackets. The brackets would be at the tops of the "u" and in the center of the 6' back. I'm thinking of cutting the actual shelves from plywood in a single piece the size of the U.

Will this provide adequate support for pantry shelves? How thick should the plywood be? Think dishes, wine bottles, pots, etc. The brackets are oak, 12 inches high and 10 inches deep.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lightlystarched

I want to add that the brackets will definitely be screwed into studs, the ledger will be hit and miss (will use drywall anchors where necessary). Do I need lag bolts for the brackets, or just big screws?

Bookmark   December 2, 2007 at 1:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

Cutting U-shaped shelves will probably be more trouble than it's worth. You'll find that walls aren't flat, the corners aren't square. It would require a finicky templating process to get the shelves cut to the right shape, and then it would be awkward to get them lifted into place.

Dishes and wine can be quite heavy. No, three brackets per U-shaped shelf won't be enough. Drywall anchors are pointless for such loads.

I might skip the brackets altogether. Instead, I'd rely on the ledger for the backs (use a stud finder), stiffen the front edges of the shelves with a 1x2 on edge, and support the fronts with vertical posts that go to the floor. The oak brackets could work, but it would take at least four per level.

Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 6:18AM
More Discussions
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™