Ideas for repairing this water damage wood?

rjingaDecember 7, 2009

The plan is to strip, sand and paint and add new hardware to this old cabinet, it's nothing special, but I'd like to fix it up.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to fix this water damamged side area? I thought maybe some wide molding on both ends? I realize that will change the look of it and it would lose the curved sides, but maybe that's not overall a big deal? And would it be worth the effort to replace this backing where there is a small hole or just try to patch it somehow and paint over it?

I guess while we are at it, any thoughts on the drawer that has a chunk missing? can this be fixed somehow too? (by a novice, with lots of time on her hands and some basic power tools??

thanks for looking

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Ok, well thanks anyways, I'll figure it out on my own.

    Bookmark   December 10, 2009 at 9:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sorry I didn't hop-to fast enough. Some fixes are rather problematic, and require rumination.
I'd flip the piece upside-down, and flood the de-laminated plies of veneer with a glue (like liquid epoxy) and clamp the area with wax-paper against the glue-soaked surface. There will need to be 1x3 (or so) clamping blocks used to get a straight edge on the repair. Two screw clamps will suffice if the blocks are used. When it dries, unclamp, take away the blocks, peel off the wax paper and it can be sanded and prepped for paint.

    Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 9:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

wow, well that advice was well worth the wait ;) I'll definitely give that a whirl. Thank you very much!! (and sorry, I didn't mean to sound impatient in my comment before).

    Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 9:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I should clarify this: the 1x3 (or whatever) straightedge clamping blocks have to sandwich the repair from both sides. Otherwise only one side will dry straight and uniform. Am I captain obvious or what?
Good luck.

    Bookmark   December 12, 2009 at 3:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

As long as you are going to paint, you can also fill the defects with Bondo and sand after it cures. I would suggest following Casey's advice about gluing back down first and use Bondo for any subsequent problems.

The back is up to you. Normally, it won't be seen and I'd be tempted to patch or leave it. You can easily replace the back panel with some 1/4" plywood, though.

    Bookmark   December 13, 2009 at 10:35AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need help matching wood stain color
The molding in our kitchen was not completed when we...
Rejuvenating Bedroom Furniture Finish
My DH (he was a custom cabinet maker for many years)...
Anyone have experience with Charles Neil's Preconditioner?
I just ordered it and am wondering if anyone has used...
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
paint or restain moldings
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
Sponsored Products
Pink Polka Dot Personalized 20-Oz. Water Bottle
$17.99 | zulily
AICO Furniture - Chateau Beauvais 12 Piece Dining Room Set in...
Great Furniture Deal
Jesse 3 Drawer Desk - White - ELET293
$376.00 | Hayneedle
Arina Chrome Triple Concealed Thermostatic Shower Faucet 2 Outlets
Hudson Reed
Hayden Rug 3'9" x 5'9" - IVORY
$999.00 | Horchow
Prismatic Green and Blue Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$199.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™