What type of circuit breakers are these?

BlazitoJune 12, 2013

I need to replace one and was wondering what kind of circuit breakers are these. I googled stuff and noticed they have 1/2" and 1" single pole breakers. Mine are 1/2", I know that much. But what would I call these breakers? I noticed they have different letters like C style breaker...D style etc etc...


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

More information would be helpful. What manufacturer is the panel? How old is it? What do the labels on the breakers say? Are the breakers the same or different? The white label on each breaker looks promising. It appears the top breaker is 1/2" challenger and the ones below it are actually 1" piggy back breakers of some sort.

    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The panel is a Westinghouse L20-2040ct. How old is it? I have no idea. I've lived in the house for 12 years and by the looks of it, my guess is it's been there since the building was built in 79. Just a guess though. There is a combination of 1/2 and 1" single pole and dual pole breakers. The ones in the picture are all 1/2" breakers. All but one are wired.

Those labels on the breakers say the following:



HACR TYPE _______

CTL TYPE: MH 120-240 VAC



This post was edited by Blazito on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 19:49

    Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I can see that the top one is 1/2' but the ones below it look to be piggy back 20/20 1' breakers. This theory is only made more likely by the fact that the bar code sticker spans across what would be 2 1/2' breakers. That is not likely. More likely is that it is a piggy back (tandem) similar to a siemens QT.

Here is a link that might be useful: breaker picture

    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here is another picture that shows that each breaker has it's own wire connected except 1. Can they still be in piggy back configuration like that?

So my question is, what would I look for to replace the bad breaker. The bad breaker is making the sizzling sound and makes the lights flicker in the kitchen. When I reset that particular breaker, the sizzling sound stops for a week or two, and will then randomly make the lights flicker again. It gets a bit warm too. If I was to order one online, what would I look for? Complete noob when it comes to this.

Thanks for the help.

    Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The breaker without a wire is not in use. That circuit may have been removed.or moved to another breaker.
To buy a replacement breaker, you need to know:
The manufacturer of the breaker
the model type of the breaker
# of poles and voltage

Since it is a Westinghouse panel, chances are that you need a Westinghouse breaker, single pole, 120 volt and either 15 or 20 amps (that's the number on the toggle)
I believe the model type would be 'EB'.
You can probably find them in a local hardware store, Lowes, etc.
Take the bad one with you and make sure the new one looks like it will fit into the panel the same.
How much of a newby are you? It isn't brain surgery to replace a breaker, but you have to keep in mind where the live voltage is and make sure the connection is tight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Westinghouse Breakers

    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The link given for "Westinghouse Breakers", is similar to Breaker Brokers. Not sure you can pick up Westinghouse breakers at your local Lowe's.

    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 10:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

As best as I can tell, the Westinghouse panel is obsolete. There are a number of on line companies that provide after market breakers. Westinghouse has been out of consumer products for a long time. However, if you are interested in a locomotive........

    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 12:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What is sizzling, the breaker itself of the breaker-bar connection? If the latter, you may have a damaged bus bar.

    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 2:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I can hear the sizzling sound coming from the breaker itself. But like I said, once I reset it, the sound stops.

    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 4:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Looks like Home Depot carries the breakers I need. Looks pretty much the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot

    Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 11:50PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Can I electrify battery-operated lights?
Hi all. Is there a way to electrify a battery operated...
Installing 220/240V. 50/60Hz appliances from Europe
I hope to install a "Domino" modular system...
Troubleshooting Kohler 12RES Problem
I have a Kohler 12RES generator with an RDT 100 Amp...
Two fans on same circuit in different rooms, can't get wiring right
So here's the situation. I have two ceiling fan/lights...
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Style Small Size Fabric Table Lamp with Elegantly Carved Black Pole
Nut Pendant by LZF
$620.00 | Lumens
Brass Works Clock
Grandin Road
'Cristal on Crystal ROSE' Canvas Art
Anastasia Classic Light Blue Glass Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Fabbian | Stick F23C03 Floor Lamp
Artifort | Extens 40-In. Two-Door Cabinet
Spa Collection Mini Swing Arm Towel Bar
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™