Drawing patterns on stained glass, cutting with Taurus 3 ring saw

silvamaeNovember 23, 2010

When you draw a pattern on stained glass and try to cut the pieces out with your wet saw, does the marker get washed off? I have a Taurus 3 ring saw and permanent marker washes right off in the middle of the cut. You will love this tip! I am pleased to pass on this solution that one of my students discovered. DecoColor Opaque Paint Markers come in every color and in broad line and fine line. The lines will stand up to the water from the saw. They're the kind of marker that you press the tip to a piece of paper to get the paint flowing.

To remove the marks from the glass, alcohol won't work; the directions say to use mineral spirits, but I scrape it off with an old dull-bladed knife, or can easily sand it off with one swipe of a 3M fine sanding pad.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Calamity_J

Oh Thank you Sylvamae!!! Great tip! I find it sooo frustrating to cut a pattern out cuz of that. They say to use contact cement smeared onto the pattern line, but it just bubbles up under the cement when I do it. So I will try this tip! I have been doing some stained glass work, but my camera is broken so I can't post any pics right now. I am about to start a lampshade, so will have to get a camera soon!!!heh heh!

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 12:07PM
silvamae

You are welcome. I tried it and it works like a dream. I already had a bunch of those DeccoColor Opaque Paint Markers and they are about 10 years old and they still work. I don't even know where they came from; maybe Michaels or Hobby Lobby? Yep you need to get a camera soon. Maybe from Santa?

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 2:56PM
wilsonsthelena_gmail_com

Just went out and bought the DecoColor Opaque Paint Markers at the local art store. They're made by Marvy. I got one black and one white, both fine point. Work perfectly!

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 6:37PM
Calamity_J

Thanks for bumping this up again!

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 10:49AM
yvonne_tpi

I've always used a chapstick without any problems.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™