How was this made ?

toomuchglassNovember 1, 2011

I swear - I need a refresher course on grouting because it's been so long. On another forum , someone asked how to uae spent bullet casings. Another lady posted this picture --- A "Man's birdhouse" ... I love it ! On the walls - do you think the grout is laid on and the stones were just pushed in ? Is it finished with a thick coat of poly urethane?

I just HAVE to make one for my son ( and me of course !)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wackyweeder

Grout will not hold things-its not an adhesive type product. They either used mastic or thinset to push the stones into. And then either polyurethane or a thick glossy stone sealer I would guess.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 6:02PM
toomuchglass

Ahhhh-- thinset --- that makes sense !!!

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 6:19PM
texaswild

Good grief. This is spooky. I just posted "Carol's Urn", and then started reading the forum. When I came and saw Carol's post, I thought someone had brought it up, and when I first read toomuch - I almost lost it - You KNOW what I was thinking, TOOMUCHGLASS. Nice to see you still check in here periodically.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 7:12PM
toomuchglass

LOL - Slow !!! It's that spooky time of year !
You know we all think alike.... ;)

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 8:21PM
nicethyme

wow i agree with Slow... my eyes couldn't believe I was seeing a post by toomuch. how the heck are you? geez... and yeah the birdhse is cool

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 8:55PM
texaswild

I probably confused y'all as much as I was. I was so danged confused. I was thinking of Carol, of course, after working on her urn and posting it on Flickr, and her Flickr name was Toomuchtwodo, so when I read your post, of course, my eyes only went to "Toomuch". I thought someone had bumped one of her old posts. And THEN when I saw a response - again my mind only saw "Toomuch". Then my mind went nuts for a few seconds, cuz the whole time I was working on the urn I felt she was watching me. The pieces from her stash seemed to be all fitting perfectly. She was soo good about cutting her tiles and organizing them. I was sorta talking to her in my mind - it was like she was there cutting the pieces as I needed them to fit. It was a very spiritual thing, I tell you. I definitely felt her presence.

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 8:50AM
toomuchglass

That IS EERIE !!! I would have freaked out,too ! I'm sure Carol *told* you where each piece should be :)

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 11:10AM
nanatricia

I under stand fully .I made a cross for a friend of mines mother a few months back who more or less starved her self to death.She was a girl scout of mine many years a go she had a sp in my heart .Any way while I was making the cross I swear she set on my shoulder all the time I was making it .Her presence was so real.Then when I got through with it she was gone.So real!!

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 10:13PM
texaswild

There really are inspired pieces, I believe. I felt the same when I was making a shrine to my DD and her nursing profession. I felt God's presence through each piece I put on it. To this day, I can't read the book I made to go w/it w/o crying. It brought tears to my student's eyes last week when she read the book after looking at all the pieces in the shrine. Real inspiration, indeed, NANA.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 8:18AM
sombreuil_mongrel

Since it looks smooth, shiny and gray, It resembles PC-7 brand epoxy putty. Epoxy is good for holding together disparate materials like used in that project. It can be tooled smooth before it sets with some xylol on a gloved finger or tool.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: PC-7 epoxy

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™