Which (loctite) construction adhesives for mounting trims?

ciacDecember 6, 2009

Hi There:

I'm trying to use adhesive to mount base and door trims in my bathroom. I have bought a tube of "loctite powergrab for moulding and paneling" which as it states, were meant specifically for trim mounting and drywalls. However, there's another tube of Loctite PowerGrab multipurpose that also claims to be good for trims and drywalls in its description. Anyone may know the difference?

The wall of the bathroom isn't straight. On one of the walls the trim goes on with quite a bit of difficulty, and had to be pressed down hard for bracing. I have been gluing the trim, bracing it, and driving finishing nails after the glue dries and with braces still on. What is the product that people use for strong holding power so that the trim won't pop out under abuse or pressure?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

I would suggest just nailing your trim. While construction adhesive works, it makes it a lot harder for the next guy if the moulding needs to be replaced.

For that piece on the curved wall, make what are called "kerf cuts" across the back of the moulding. They're parallel cuts made with a saw placed about 1/4" to 3/8" apart. Obviously you want to be careful not to damage the finished side of the moulding. Those will allow the moulding to bend.

While not the best picture, should give you some idea what I'm talking about:

Bookmark   December 6, 2009 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™