Stained glass question?

mbhoneybee63November 5, 2013

Can anyone tell me if they really notice the difference in brands of solder (60/40) used for stained glass. I have just always used what was available at my local stained glass supply store. I have found some less expensive solder (not necessarily cheaper) on ebay and wonder what the difference in quality is. Is it a matter of impurities or how it looks when it finished? Please give me any of your opinions or experiences in using different brands of solder.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldcrafty

Have never done soldering but I bet someone on here can help you with that question. Good Luck

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 1:24PM
becky_ia

I would not mess with cheaper solder. Too much work to take the chance of it not being any good.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 3:19AM
debby_1

Hi,
I've been doing stained glass for 20 years. I always buy what's on sale. Usually it's not the name brand. I've never had any problems. If I can get solder for $10.00, I'm not going to pay $18.00 for a name.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 5:43PM
Mags438

Years ago I had a non-brand name that gave me trouble. It pit and spit like crazy. Supplier sent a replacement.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 11:12PM
smickerdoodle

I have done stained glass for many years as well and use whatever is on sale. I have never had a problem with any of it. If it is spitting and pitting, your iron is too hot for the solder or you are using too much flux. Turn the iron temp down and don't over do the flux.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
Clock
Finished recently
wackyweeder
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™