noob table saw question

gigelus2k13December 12, 2013

Hello,

What is the proper way of feeding a plank when ripping at an angle? IOW, if my saw is leaning to the left (dewalt 7480), do I place the fence on the left or on the right of the blade?

A friend of mine needs a 7 degrees rip into a 1x3 oak plank (i.e. 7* from vertical when the plank sits on the narrow side). It's a very shallow cut and he previously has used a planer for the job, but we're hoping that a table saw is faster and more accurate.

We're just not sure if cutting so that the base is wider than the top will create kickback.

Thank you for any advice you may have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

You don't want to make a trapping cut against the fence. IOW, the top of the blade should be tipping away from the fence. And you should always cut with the workpiece against the fence, not the drop-off. It's important to plan out unusual cuts carefully with these basic rules in mind. They are not inviolate, but at least you can be mentally prepared when using the saw outside them.
Casey

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 9:22AM
lazy_gardens

Fence _board_ blade slanting away from fence_cutoff piece is the lineup.

:=====/= The part between the fence and blade can easily pop up if it jams, and the waste piece has an escape route

:=====\= Doing it this way catches the board between fence and blade. Bad idea.

If he does this often, buying a router bit with the slant he needs would be faster and more accurate.

http://www.toolstoday.com/p-4941-bevel-trim-router-bits-3-flute.aspx sells various bevels

Bookmark   December 13, 2013 at 9:37AM
Luke123

All valid suggestions: also - a joiner would not be less accurate than a table saw given you use it properly, and would leave a truly straight surface.The problem with the saw is that you can force a piece through the cut, and create a 7 degrees on a bowed plank.Joiner not only will make the angle: it'll also leave a straight edge.Back to table saw,remember: anytime a cut seems dangerous it probably is.Like the previous posters pointed out, avoid the situation where the saw would pinch the piece into the fence thus creating kickback.If the piece is small use a proper pusher, some saws have one when you buy, if not copy an existing push stick so it will push and press down the piece at the same time.Don't just use whatever wood lays around for pushing. I once saw a very experienced woodworker who would push anything of smaller size with two push sticks. When asked about it he said that push-sticks are disposable, fingers are not.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 11:55PM
More Discussions
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™