Stain on french doors not matched

tracywiNovember 3, 2008

I have just recently stained maple french doors. I had a problem with one side -- one door came out lighter than the other, so I added a second coat... still off balance. So after two coats on each, I still have one darker door. I read through a few posts and it looks like I might be able to apply mineral spirits to the darker side to lighten it. I just finished it about 24 hours ago, so it is not yet completely dry. Can someone let me know if this is the right process: lightly apply mineral spirits with a clean rag to lighten the darker stain? Should I also sand or use steel wool?

And - will this process help fix a few drips as well? First time stainer --- and very frustrated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

Can you describe the process you've been using to apply the stain, and the "problem" you first encountered? The fact that you have drips of dried stain makes it sound as if you aren't wiping off the excess wet stain after an appropriate interval.

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 5:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracywi

the drips were definitely because i didn't wipe spots well enough in a few places.

the process was applying a wood conditioner and waiting about 20 minutes and then wiping that off before applying the stain. Applied with a paint brush. It seemed to be fine except for this one spot on the door where it didn't seem to absorb into the wood very well, so it was a lot darker from the get-go.

any advice on how to lighten that spot and clean up the drip marks a bit?

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™