What finish for fireplace mantel?

franksmom_2010November 23, 2012

Hi!

I'm going to be finishing our mantel shelf. I suspect that it's either cedar or redwood, based on a small sample patch that I sanded. It's currently a "rustic" raw slab of lumber that was rough cut. I don't care for the splintery rustic look, so plan to sand it smooth, add a stain of some kind, and a finishing coat. I have no idea if it's original to the 1970's house, but it's aged to a bland tannish-gray.

For stain, I was going to start with a clear or natural stain (oil based), and see how we like it, and see how it looks with the brick.

For the finish, I see a lot of retail mantel stores use poly. Is that the best finish, or would you choose something else? Water based poly, or oil? Any particular brand? Wipe on or brush on?

I've done a lot of furniture refinishing, painting, etc., but have never worked with either of these woods, so is there anything else I need to know?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SparklingWater

If you use water based poly, build up a pre-finish on your stain with a sealer in selected sheen, so the water based poly doesn't soak right into the stain and be bland looking. Also, may be wise to stay with the same manufacturer throughout the job as they perform the QA tests on only their own products.

There's a new polyurethane which is UV cured for decreased drying time. That sounds like the best of both worlds: sheen and quicker drying and a nice durable product which should hold up to time. GL.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™