need ideas for disguising drain pipe

weedyacresNovember 4, 2007

We have a laundry room that we're converting to a walk-in pantry. Part of this conversion entailed demo-ing a built-in pantry inside the laundry room that was awkward, and it exposed a drain pipe that went down what was a wall about 30" out from the room walls. We re-routed the drain pipe, but couldn't make it quite flush inside the outside wall, and because we needed it to slope as it went toward that outside wall, it now juts below the ceiling. Here's a photo:

We're basically just building a bunch of 24" deep shelves in this room around 3 sides, and have tossed around several ideas to disguise the pipe. Our latest brainstorm is to build a broom closet/cabinet that covers the vertical portion of the pipe. The only problem is that the upper portion will still be showing. The elbow is 30" from the room wall, and we don't want a broom closet more than 24" deep, since that's the depth of the shelves.

One thought is to put in a drop ceiling 6" down (ceilings are 9', so plenty of head room). Any other, possibly simpler ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homefires

We had a similar problem in our laundry room. I just painted it to match the walls. It's not the perfect solution perhaps, but it is just a laundry room after all.
Good luck with that.:o)

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 10:57AM
weedyacres

I was just searching for an old post of mine, and came across this one. Figured it might be of interest to post what I ended up doing. I build a 4' wide broom closet out of 2 plywood carcases. On the RH one I set the back a little less deep, to accommodate the downward pipe that wasn't quite flush with the back wall. Then I built a box for the top with crown, that completely covered the pipe coming out of the ceiling.

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 8:26PM
HandyMac

Build a box beam across the room. That makes the cover a design feature.

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
paint or restain moldings
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
southern yellow pine ceilings - how to tone down yellow
Hi, all. We are currently building: natural cherry...
hjs
Fence building Question
I'm building a board on board redwood fence. 1 x 8...
waynebo
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Will these trees make good lumber?
I've got 2 fallen catalpa trees that have remained...
mshepherd2
Sponsored Products
Cabo letter baskets
Origin Crafts
Florence Style Loft 4 Piece Sofa Set in Black
$2,717.00 | LexMod
Christopher Knight Home Richfield Rolling Bar Cabinet
Overstock.com
White Traverse 30 to 48 Inch Heavy Duty Double Traverse Rod One Way Cord Right
$44.95 | Bellacor
White Floor Lamps: 1-Light 60 in. Floor Lamp Finish White Fabric Shade CLI-LS-80
Home Depot
Acu-Rite Songbirds 12.5 in. Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer - 01581
$19.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™