Moving main panel 30 feet

amyspaetzle262June 16, 2011

The folks in plumbing suggested I ask electrical so here goes. My house is all electric and on a slab. I'm trying to replace my aging hot water tank and have been told it's too close to my main panel. Furnace, panel and hot water tank all share a utility closet. I'm weighing the costs of:

1. Running a new gas line and installing a tankless ($4,500) on the side wall in the closet far enough away

2. Moving the electric hot water tank to a very small laundry area across the hall

3. Moving the main panel 30 feet away and well into the garage and keeping the hot water tank where it is.

4. Running a new gas line and moving the hot water tank into the very small laundry area. ($1,600)

Is option 3 the least expensive way to go?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

Moving the main panel isn't going to be a cheap proposition. The cheapest would be installing a new (I presume you still want to replace it) tanked heater someplace that gives you the desired panel clearance. That would only be cost a few hundred for the heater and some wire and a small amount of labor.

I'd expect you're talking multiple thousands to relocate the main panel (which means extending all the branch circuits to the new location as well as moving the service and the grounds). It could add up to the most expensive.

If you have gas installed now, I might consider one of the two gas options. I've got a Rinnai tankless in one house and gas tanked in the other. Both are better options in my opinion than a electric tanked unit.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 3:14PM
wayne440

First, tell more about "have been told it's too close to my main panel." Who said so? Did whoever it was elaborate on why the location is now an issue and apparently wasn't when the panel and WH were first installed?

Are you doing this DIY or hiring it out?

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 6:38PM
brickeyee

Moving the main can turn into a nightmare.

Even if you gut the old panel-board enclosure and use it as a huge junction box, every circuit must be extended.

You can easily run out of room to drill enough holes in joists and studs.

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 4:44PM
wayne440

Is the panel on an inside wall and if so what is behind it?

Maybe you can turn it around to the other side. Still a big job.

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
amyf5
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™