Making Butcher Block

CEFreemanNovember 4, 2011

Hi all! I'm back.

I have put together a 14' countertop of maple butcher block. I got the wood at a reuse center and it's beautiful. I'm thrilled.

However, I'm hesitant to stain or finish it. I'm not sure what to do. I would like a darker color, but want to see this beautiful grain.

I plan to use one end next to the stove for food preperation. Simply because I know I'll do something stupid and cut on it anyway.

So what type of finish? I've read about food grade wax, but also sealing it.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm continuing to read here and other places, but so far I'm a bit overwhelmed. You'd think this would be the easy stuff!:)

Christine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RRM1

Several coats of mineral oil for food prep side, if not all. You can make it look pretty nice with just good sanding and mineral oil.

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 11:19PM
CEFreeman

Excellent.

Tell me. Twice-boiled Linseed oil has been recommended for the non-food-side of the kitchen. What's your opinion?

Thanks,
Christine

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 12:25PM
RRM1

I don't know about your house, but in mine, food gets prepped on just about any available counter space. If there are teenagers, count on them eating right off the counter.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 2:39PM
bobismyuncle

A non-film forming finish is best for anything where cutting will occur. Films will cut, then allow moisture (and dirt) then chip. Straight mineral oil, available at the drug department of any store, works fine. Refresh with more when it looks dull. Some people will melt in 1 part of paraffin (canning wax) with six or seven parts of mineral oil. Slather it on, let it cool and scrape off the excess with a plastic putty knife or old credit card. But really, the choice is up to you.

cutting board finish

Food safe finishing (the myths and hype)

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 7:06PM
marknmt

A well made solid maple bench is remarkable in its ability to cope with abuse- I worked many years on Boos bakery benches and they rarely received anything other than a good scraping with a metal scraper (which bakers use constantly to cut and divide dough, lift things from the bench, and clean up little messes.) The benches are always a little light-colored after scraping but darken again as they oxidize and absorb oils.

In other words, just use it and forget it. If you feel the need you can wash it, but I don't think it's very necessary myself. (Don't chop up meats, fish, and chicken on them, though, without thorough cleaning.) The mineral oil option works great, Boos recommends something like the mix Bobsmyuncle receipts above) but they survive neglect very well too.

Congratulations on your great bench.

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Type of wood on floor.
Can anyone identify the type of wood on this floor?...
candeelyn
Anyone have experience with Charles Neil's Preconditioner?
I just ordered it and am wondering if anyone has used...
aktillery9
Will these trees make good lumber?
I've got 2 fallen catalpa trees that have remained...
mshepherd2
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
newbie veneer terminology question
My house has hollow slab doors veneered with luaun...
Fori is not pleased
Sponsored Products
5 Lights Modern Style Chrome Iron Chandelier with Crystal Ball Shape Shade
ParrotUncle
Victorian Brass 17" Wide Semi-Flushmount Ceiling Fixture
Lamps Plus
Eliot Swivel Chair - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
GE Billiard Lights 6 in. Battery Operated LED Under Cabinet Utility Light
$12.97 | Home Depot
Silver Lining Serving Bowl
$34.99 | Dot & Bo