Production Finish (dirt problem)

robwoodNovember 13, 2007

I have a challenge with dirt particles on large flat production surfaces. Although the industry has specification for an acceptable amount of dirt particles in a finish (usually 1-2). I can not seem to get an acceptable finish. I am using a Catalyzed Lacquer, I have been sanding the entire surface just to repair a few imperfections. I am using a semi gloss sheen. Buffing, to date has been out of the question since it typiclly increase sheen levels. My question is, is there a way to do spot repairs on CL successfully?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stocky

Do you think that you should look into why your geting the dust / dirt ?
What is your spray room like ? Do you clean it often ?

Do you have "dust bunnies" hanging from the ceiling of your spray room.

What about the type of ventilation ? Is the fan strong enough to suck out the dust in the air ?

Are you using an air hose to blow the dust off prior to each coat of finish ? ( Assuming that your cutting between coats)

Can you do a "spot" repair ? Do you mean after your all finished and it's no longer in your shop ?
If it's still in my shop and I find dust or what have you . I would cut it and spray another final coat.
If your talking about doing it on site, it's much more involved and in my opinion will never look as good . Also the fact that it's a semi gloos doesn't help the situation. The higher the sheen the harder to do a repair or touch up.

I would work on why your getting the dust and try to eliminate it from the start.Then ya don't have to worry about touch ups.

Bookmark   November 16, 2007 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™