Best Miter Saw for Me

avadooneNovember 21, 2010

I would like to know the main difference between these two saws? Also, what is the difference between 10" and 12"?

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW716-12-Inch-Double-Bevel-Compound/dp/B000ASDN60/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW718-12-Inch-Double-Compound/dp/B000ASG8A8

I have been looking at these saws for my christmas present from my boyfriend. He just got a new house and I would love to install moulding. As for myself, I do small wood furniture and building projects and I use molding or trim quite often.

I mostly need a saw that will

*give a PRECISE STRAIGHT cut

*cut at at several angles.

*alot of flexibility and features, as I would like to get more involved in woodwork

*be easy to use and reliable

*price, sort of :-p

So if anyone has an idea of a better choice they think I should look at, let me hear it. I am just trying to make a well informed purchase as I plan to do more projects.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

First, do not just look at Amazon and look elsewhere. You can find a similar saw(like the first example) for $200-$300.

The first saw leans one way(to the left as you look at it).
I have an earlier model of that saw and used it in my business(remodeling). I actually burnt out the bearings and had it repaired. Good solid saw.

The second saw tilts both ways, left and right. This function is easier for folks who have a difficult time cutting reverse angles by reversing the stock. You simply tilt the saw to the right to get a reverse angle to a left tilt angle.

Either saw has to be checked for proper settings , but can be adjusted.

Now, I used mine mainly for deck work. When I used it for trim, I only cut miters for coping. I did have to use it sometimes for outside corner mitering. Coping inside corners doing trim work saves time and makes a superior joint.

But, as a rule, I preferred using my table saw and Incra V27 miter guage for outside angles or odd angles. Reason? The table saw/Incra combo was much more precise. And much faster to set up and make cuts.

I do not use the DeWalt at all in my wood shop. The only function there would be for cross cutting stock, and I simply do not have room for a tool that only does that.

Could the saw be used in a wood shop? Sure. It is much better than no saw if you do not have a good table saw.

Bookmark   November 22, 2010 at 12:47AM
avadoone

I do not have a table saw, I would really like one but I am worried, because I am very accident prone. It always seems like table saws seem to the culprit...

What is difference between 10 and 12?

I think I like the idea of it tilting both ways because I do tend to get a little turned around sometimes.

Has anyone had experience with the laser guides? Do they improve accuracy?

I have making my own furniture, built a pantry and a bench and more. I have been using a miter box. It's getting old and I'm ready to move up to something a bit quicker and less labor.

I read a little about coping. I didn't really understand it. I am going to look into that more, search the site.

Bookmark   November 22, 2010 at 3:22PM
HandyMac

SawStop. The table saw that makes it extremely unlikely you will get more than a scratch. Contractor model is about $900. Seriously, look it up on Google.

The major difference between 10" and 12" miter saws is the 12" compound models cut wider stock than a 10" compound. A 10" slider will cut much wider stock than a 12" compound---but costs much more---starting at $500 and up.

Laser guides are a gimmick, IMHO. The ones I used were not accurate enough even for framing. You still have to measure, so no time saved there. And many can be knocked out of alignment---just too gimmicky.

Go nto a home improvement store, look in the book carousel. Buy a book on finish carpentry or trim carpentry. Shows how to cope.

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 8:25PM
johnnyrazbrix

I am with handy mac. A mitre saw can be useful but a good table saw with a good blade in my opinion can do much more. I would get the best Table saw I could afford and the best blade also. The " saw stop " really works .If you have not seen the ads a hot dog against the saw stop will stop the machine with only very minor damage to the hot dog.
Just one example of a TS out performing a MS is ripping boards that you want to join for a table top. With a shop made crosscut sled you can make a lot of the angle cuts.Johnny

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
newbie veneer terminology question
My house has hollow slab doors veneered with luaun...
Fori is not pleased
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
bossyvossy
black lacquer touch-up
how do i touch-up black lacquer furniture? Small areas...
laurenjay
Finish for cedar window box
I'm fairly new at woodworking. I just completed a cedar...
hoganjr
paint or restain moldings
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
Sponsored Products
Chooty and Co Linen Natural Snowflake Embroidered Throw Pillow - CS17E554FLAKE
$75.99 | Hayneedle
Barrel Wood Outdoor Side Table, Patio Furniture
$695.00 | FRONTGATE
Lenox Eternal Gold 5 Piece Place Setting - 9828092
$64.95 | Hayneedle
Kenroy Home Aqueduct Indoor-Outdoor Slate Table Fountain
Lamps Plus
Serena & Lily Gobi Wool Rug
Serena & Lily