Support for wide shallow shelves

H_in_OHNovember 16, 2013

Hello Everyone,

I am working on adding pantry storage shelves along the side of a basement stairwell. Similar to the position of this other forum post:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wood/msg0909344330978.html?3

The wood is locally cut sassafras, one inch thick after drying. They are only just 5 1/8 inches deep. The intent is to hold 2L soda bottles and similar sized containers to get them out of the kitchen.

The shelves will span up to just over 7 feet. I am planning to use a ledger strip along the wall to secure each shelf. The famous Sagulator does not account for this. I will probably also add a little face strip from the same wood with an edge to stop things from rolling off.

If secured by a ledger strip along the wall, does a 1 inch thick piece of lumber need another vertical support in the front of a wide span if it is only 5 inches wide from the wall to the front?

Thanks.
---H

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

The cleat along the back is the same as an edge strip along the front of infinite height. Using those parameters, the sag for a 5" deep shelf is zero.
You might actually use a strip across the front to trap the 2liter bottles top and bottom so they can't vibrate or tip off.
Casey

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
Installing new deck door
I've ordered and received a new custom pre-hung deck...
africanboy
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™