shaping ceramic tile

mattie_2008November 8, 2011

Is there a special method to shaping tile? I'm wanting to nip/cut long (3" maybe 4") narrow tail feathers and the tile just keeps breaking off into smaller pieces. These pieces also have to have a slight curve to them.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

The only way I know to shape tile is to use a tile saw. I have a Taurus 3 ring saw that I can use to cut any shape in either tile or stained glass. It's slow work, cutting tile, and the replacement blades are expensive. If you wanted to cut stained glass into shapes, I usually use a Toyo pistol grip glass cutter and I can score the glass with that and then break it with a Fletcher tool.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 3:42PM
nicethyme

Mattie. as Silva says, its tricky but you can do it with nips if you understand that you can only "chew" your way to the edge and not cut anything out really. I think of nippers as nibbling away excess until you get what you want... its not perfect and it does take time to develop the skills reliably.

you are less likely to make a curved break if your cutting edge is perpendicular to the tile face and not leaning away or toward the tile surface.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 10:33PM
mattie_2008

Thanks ladies, working with (ceramic) tile is quite different than glass so it is a learning experience. Working on a small mural, will post pictures later.

Bookmark   November 12, 2011 at 7:17AM
More Discussions
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
glass pattern for a cabinet door
Does anyone have a good website or pattern book for...
maryb116
Help! Newbie Ballchain
Hi everyone new here! I want to incorporate ball chain...
KathyC55
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™