Removing stains from finished wood

dll969November 11, 2008

I have a really nice elm bookcase. I put my laptop on it, and the little rubber feet on the laptop seem to have stained the surface of the bookcase. The stain seems to have penetrated through the stain of the bookcase. I've tried several different cleaners on it, but have had no luck removing the stain. Does anyone know of something I can use to remove the stain, or will I have to refinish the top of the bookcase? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Chemicals in the little plastic feet that keep it soft and flexible can get into the finish doing the same thing. This is known as "plasticizer migration." Sometimes, it can add dark color, and sometimes, it just eats it away, down to bare wood. You can try some light abrasion like 0000 wool. You might also try "stain remover cloths" that you can find at paint stores or in furniture care departments. Guardsman and Jasco both make these. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you can touch up the damage and sometimes, it needs to be stripped off. There is no pat answer, you just have to try and see what works or what doesn't.

Bookmark   November 11, 2008 at 9:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dll969

Thanks very much for your reply. I'll try to find the products you mentioned.

Bookmark   November 13, 2008 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™