fake mercury glass?

powermuffinNovember 18, 2008

Has anyone tried to make a mercury glass look alike from plain glass? I'd like to try this on some cheap vases for the holidays. If you have ideas about how-to and what to use, let me know please.

Thanks,

Diane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daisyme

I don't know a thing about mercury glass or making a look alike, but I didn't want you to think no one here read your message or cared. LOL Hope you find an answer soon!

Bookmark   November 18, 2008 at 4:44PM
katishooked

What is mercury glass? I guess I'll it and find out. Some members have done faux gogh, maybe someone can help.

Bookmark   November 18, 2008 at 6:30PM
gcpommom

Back in 2005 Martha Stewart had instructions posted for making faux mercury glass by spraying the inside of clear vases with Krylon mirror paint. I don't see it there now, but you could always experiment first...this is a link to someone discussing how they did it, with a pic of her results, she said it wasn't too hard to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: mercury glass

Bookmark   November 18, 2008 at 7:35PM
katishooked

GC thanks for the post. I googled this and remembered what mercury glass was when I saw some. Had forgotten.

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 6:40AM
foxrosefl

What an interesting project. Krylon makes a mirror spray paint: "Krylon Looking Glass Mirror-Like Paint". I don't know who carries it (Michaels?). Seems to me that's where I saw it - but you know about memory... I DO remember that it wasn't cheap - like $10 a can. Hope this helps

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 10:53AM
powermuffin

Thanks guys. I saw the mirror glass spray paint and thought it might work. I'll give it a try. I just love the look of old mercury glass and I have an old house so the two would fit.
Diane

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
Clock
Finished recently
wackyweeder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™