Wood Refinishing

magee_2009November 19, 2009

I have some window trim that had water damage. With sanding, I was able to get it so that it looked almost like new. But then I applied a lacquer to it, and the lacquer made the sanded parts much richer in color (drew out the natural color of the wood more than the original finish). The match is terrible. I don't know what the original finish is. What finish will maintain the color/shade as close to the unfinished wood as possible?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Any finish I know will alter the looks in some way; some will add depth, some will give a "wet" look, some will amber, some will darken. It all depends on the wood and the finish.

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 8:08PM
HandyMac

Sand the lacquer a bit and apply a coat of oil based varnish. That is what many builders used on trim.

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 12:29AM
Jon1270

It might help if you posted some pictures of both the problem area and an area of originally finished, undamaged wood too, as similarly lighted as possible.

What sort of "lacquer," exactly, did you use? The term is misused a lot, or at least used differently in different parts of the world. Brand? Product name?

I usually think of acrylic water-based finishes as having minimal effect on the appearance of wood. Oil-based finishes typically enrich and yellow the colors. WB acrylics don't have that native yellowing tendency. Unfortunately, some cheaper WB acrylics (such as Minwax poly-acrylic, last time I used it) go the other way, and have a bluish cast that can be unattractive.

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 7:53AM
More Discussions
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™