Baseboards and Door Trim

ladoladiNovember 13, 2010

Hello:

As part of a large-scale remodeling project, I am switching out the baseboards and door trim in my home. There are only a couple of mills in my area, and they are almost triple the price of the big box store. So, I've found a moulding that I like, similar to this one:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/18896/Feldman-Architecture-modern-entry-san-francisco

The only problem is that I can't seem to find a matching door trim. In the picture it appears to be completely square. Can I simply use a square piece of wood that is the right thickness? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Yes, with a couple of conditions.

The wood for the door trim needs to be similar to the wood in the base molding so the paint will look the same.

The joint at the top of the doors should be a similar joint---end to side---to be similar to the base to door trim joint. Seems to me a mitered joint at the top of the door trim would look out of place. The use of plinth blocks might be appropriate.

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 9:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_indiana

I love that! We did something similiar but without the narrow trim between the long verticals and the horizontal at the top. We used 1x4s and 1x2 for the very top piece. It's made a huge difference!

Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Island panel made from veneer??
So we just had custom cabinets made for our kitchen...
kluken
Best clear finish for exterior Douglas Fir door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. Link to Simmons...
kisu
Right size tip-out tray for kitchen sink cabinet
My kitchen sink cabinet is 24" wide. I want to...
africanboy
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
bossyvossy
protecting black walnut salt and pepper mill
Hi all, Just got a set of gorgeous discontinued William...
frodiggs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™