fan delay switch

rwiegandJune 25, 2013

OK, I've been on Google for an hour without success. I want a traditional looking toggle switch that will turn the bathroom fan on when flipped and turn it off automatically 15-20 minutes later. I'd strongly prefer it not have a "continuous on" position because it will invariably be flipped the wrong way and run for hours or days until someone notices. (the downside of a really quiet, remote bath fan) The fan and lights are switched separately, I don't want the fan to go on whenever the lights are turned on.

Does such a thing exist?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

Did you search ["time delay" toggle switch]? I have not seen one that does not have the optional constant on position. You can do it with a timer attached to another junction box somewhere, maybe at the fan. You could consider a switch with a constant-on position and do a mechanical modification of the switch or switch plate that locks that position out. (Just get an identical face plate, cut a strip of plastic from it and glue it onto the mounted face plate to limit switch movement.

Another possibility is an occupancy sensor. Some of them have an adjustable delay built in.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 3:00PM
rwiegand

Yes, I did.

I suppose a manual on/auto off occupancy sensor would do the trick, though they look rather high-tech for our house. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 4:18PM
mike_kaiser_gw

Lutron makes a nice little timer that you can preset for the off time. One tap turns it on and it turns itself off after x minutes. Two taps turns it on continuously, another tap shuts it off.

Unfortunately it's part of their Maestro series which means it's a Decora type switch. Does work well.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 9:25PM
ionized_gw

Requiring "two taps" would seem to make it much less likely to be turned on continuously. I wonder if they did any studies to compare that and consumer preferences to "push and hold". A pilot light that comes on with continuous would be desirable for me, perhaps even a little sonic alert.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 9:22AM
ionized_gw

Requiring "two taps" would seem to make it much less likely to be turned on continuously. I wonder if they did any studies to compare that and consumer preferences to "push and hold". A pilot light that comes on with continuous would be desirable for me, perhaps even a little sonic alert.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 9:23AM
Ron Natalie

Double clicking often gives the wrong operation twice rather than the proper one twice. The human factors guys are on the side of press and hold.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 9:17PM
More Discussions
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™