Converting 4 prong dryer cord to 3 prong

seano815June 23, 2010

I need to install a 3 cord electric dryer cord on a machine that had a 4 prong cord as my new outlet is only a 3 prong and I don't have the $$ to upgrade to a 4 prong outlet at this time. In all of the articles I see written about this conversion there is a "terminal" where the wires connect. This is not the case on this machine. The 4-plug wires were connected to the machine wires by male/female metal connectors sheathed in plastic. I will connect the black wire to black wire and red wire to red wire. As for the white wires, do i simply make a connection between these 2 and then ground this connection to the frame of the machine? Also, what do I do w/ the green wire that's left in the machine now?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

The installation instructions for the dryer have the correct connections.

In a 3-wire installation the ground and neutral are bonded in the machine with a jumper that is removed for a 4-wire hookup.

Put the bonding jumper back in.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 3:34PM
seano815

The machine is pretty old so I don't have any installation instructions. I appreciate your response but don't know squat about bonded jumpers, etc. So, just to keep things simple for me, for the white wires, do i simply make a connection between these 2 and then ground this connection to the frame of the machine? Also, what do I do w/ the green wire that's left in the machine now?
Thanks

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 5:29PM
hendricus

Connect the green and white of the machine to the incoming white. That will give you your bonding jumper.

Normally there is a terminal block with H H N and a clip that will bond the frame to the neutral on a 3 wire setup.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 10:10PM
weedmeister

The green is the ground for the machine. Tie the whites and the green together (3 wires).

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 10:41PM
seano815

Thanks alot everyone!!

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 8:37AM
More Discussions
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™