Help With Family Room Furniture Placement

Jack MasonAugust 11, 2014

Hello everyone, my wife and I are living with family while our house is being built. My sister in law would like some help in coming up with furniture placement ideas for her family room.
She lives in Northern Michigan. Their house is on acreage and they are surrounded by beautiful hardwood forests.

I have attached a photo of a rough layout of the room. Using map compass directions, I will do my best to explain the current layout.

On one East side of the room is a 10' opening into a kitchen and dining area.

Moving over to the the North wall is a beautiful wood burning fireplace with a raised granite hearth. On either side of the fireplace is a 54" tall window.

The south wall is a half wall. Behind it is a stairway to the basement.

Next to that half wall is a 7' opening that leads into an entry, where you also have access to a bathroom and two bedrooms.

We have been struggling with how to place furniture.

Currently there is a TV in the SE Corner; a loveseat and easy chair on the west wall; a recliner located at the end of the half wall next to the entry opening; and another recliner at the NE corner of the family room.

I have attached a drawing of the room and will also include a photo of the room as well.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jack Mason

I have also attached a picture of the room showing the current furniture placement. Thanks!

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 6:52PM
kewren

Try putting the tv on the west wall. Pull the furniture in toward the fireplace leaving space for a walkway behind the furniture. Place the sofa toward the fireplace, two chairs to the right of fireplace facing the tv wall, one chair flanking the fireplace on the left. If they are planning to buy new furniture, I think an l-shaped sectional would work well. One side facing fireplace the other the facing the tv. One chair could flank the fireplace on the left angled toward the sectional.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 6:32AM
Annie Deighnaugh

What is the predominant activity in the room? Is it an adult TV viewing area? Visiting and conversation area? Kids' play room with lots of TV and video games?

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 8:31AM
Jack Mason

Predominant activity is TV watching, but we also have a lot of grand kids over to play and would like to have a better environment for adult conversation. It is definitely a Family room. Thanks!

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 8:42AM
Jack Mason

Thank you all for your input. We rearranged the furniture and it looks and works pretty good. We are going to give it a few days.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 9:11PM
Jack Mason

Another view

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 9:16PM
kewren

I like it! Beautiful ceiling. Very cozy room. Hopefully now you can enjoy the FP and the TV.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:23AM
andee_gw

It's amazing how just that one suggestion to pull it all in has made such a big difference. I'm sure your in-laws are very happy to have had you stay with them!

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:37AM
oaktonmom

You could also switch the sofa with the recliners if tv viewing is done more from the recliners.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 11:39AM
Jack Mason

Thank you for all the nice comments!

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
Carpet only in the closet?
Would you carpet a closet when you've got hardwood...
amberm145
Pier 1 Furniture???
Okay, we are at the tail end of a whole-house remodel...
dgranara
Spectra Home - quality?
I have been looking for a swivel club chair for DD....
bbstx
Help coordinating an antique chandelier ?
\\Hello all! I'm working on lighting now...:) I have...
eesmerelda
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™