Switched Receptacle

bambroseJune 18, 2010

There is a switched power receptacle or outlet in my living room that i am trying to take off the switch and have power running to it at all times. I'd like to take that switch and use it for the new recessed lights.

Can someone give me a brief description of how to do this?

This is what I was thinking... disconnect power feeding the switch, piggytail that with the feed to the receptacle/outlet, and the new power to the switch for the new lights.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Usually a switched receptacle is split, so all you have to do is replace the outlet with a new standard one using the wires currently running to the non-switched part of the receptacle. Then your switch is available for use (assuming you can run new wire from your lights to the switch, or to the box where the receptacle is, using it as a junction box).

Is the switch in the same stud bay as the receptacle, or across the room?

    Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 3:00PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
How to get garage freezer to work in cold weather
I have a 7-year-old GE refrigerator/freezer in my unheated,...
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™