New Drill for Christmas

deniseandspikeNovember 24, 2008

I want to replace my hubby's old Makita drill with a newer model/brand due to the poor battery performance.

Is there anything in particular I should look for when buying? Best brand for battery life/weight/number of batteries that come with the unit?

He uses the old one all the time and the batteries only seem to work for a few minutes before giving out. I don't want to replace the batteries at this time due to the age of the drill and the high battery cost.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

newer Makita's in 14.4v do fine. So do Bosch and DeWalt. Milwaukee is also a good choice.

I have used 14.4v DeWalts in a commercial business for five years---also used on Saturdays on HfH houses. The batteries lasted four years in heavy use. I could drive any screw that the folks using 18v or 24v DeWalts could---and the 14.4v is lighter.

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 7:37PM
bobismyuncle

On "Black Friday", Home Depot is running a $99.99 special on their Ridgid drill. While not a top performer and I'm not a big fan of HD, they have a lifetime service agreement on replacement parts, including batteries.

Here is a link that might be useful: black friday ad

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 8:59PM
linnea56

If you are not a pro and just a weekend warrior, what would be a good model? We have an ancient corded drill but could use a new cordless.

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 1:00AM
aidan_m

The batteries are always the first thing to go, whether you use it every day or once in a while. If HD really offers lifetime guarantees on the batteries, get the Rigid.

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 4:32PM
bobismyuncle

WHAT IS COVERED UNDER THE LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT

The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGID® Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries in your qualifying RIDGID®Brand hand held and stationary power tools; and replacement rings, driver blades and bumpers on RIDGID® Brand pneumatic tools for the lifetime of the original owner. This Lifetime Service Agreement does not apply to other RIDGID® Brand products.

Here is a link that might be useful: full agreement

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 7:52PM
bobismyuncle

I attended a presentation a couple of weeks ago by a battery technician from Batteries Plus, a franchised, independent supplier and rebuilder of batteries. His comment was as vendors tried to reach price points, there was only some much fat to trim from the tools and most of the cost is in the batteries, so they tend to suffer the most from low end tools.

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
protecting black walnut salt and pepper mill
Hi all, Just got a set of gorgeous discontinued William...
frodiggs
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Damage on a Solid Walnut Table
I need to fix some damage from nail polish remover...
alaurenb
Type of wood on floor.
Can anyone identify the type of wood on this floor?...
candeelyn
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
newbie veneer terminology question
My house has hollow slab doors veneered with luaun...
Fori is not pleased
Sponsored Products
Metro Polished Nickel One-Light Bath Fixture
$98.00 | Bellacor
Bold Red Stripes Nickel 20 1/4" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
kaarskoker Solid 4 in. x 7/8 in. Blue Box Paper Candle Covers, Set of 2 BLBX-SOL
$5.38 | Home Depot
Crystorama Chelsea Amber Chrome Light 809-CH-CL-MWP - 809-CH-CL-MWP
$318.00 | Hayneedle
Lit- Mesh Test Wall Sconce by Varaluz
$89.00 | Lumens
Florence Style Loft Wool Sofa in Chocolate Brown
$899.00 | LexMod
Capri Holly Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 10 In. Rug
$199.00 | Bellacor
Round Paper Ornament Set
$8.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™