Tools and Shops Issue

jbranchNovember 26, 2009

This is not spam and I don't work for Taunton, so I am not benefiting at all from this post. It is more of a FYI.

While I don't subscribe to Fine Woodworking magazine, I always purchase their Tools and Shops special issue. There are always several articles which I find interesting.

In this issue, there is an impressive woodworking bench and a miter saw station, both things I need to update in my shop.

I bought my issue at Barnes and Noble, but you can also buy it online using the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tools and Shops 2009

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Many of the woodworking magazines have an end-of-year issue like this. I currently subscribe to only FWW, Tools of the Trade, and Popular Woodworking, but pick up an accassional Wood, American Woodworker, or WoodWorker's Journal (though I can't remember if any of this group has an year-end issue).

Also for anyone interested in building a workbench, I highly recommend Chris Schwarz's book on the subject.

Disclaimer: I do some occasional work for F+W as they are just a couple of miles from me. I get nothing from their books sales. I consider Chris and his associates all friends.

Here is a link that might be useful: Workbenches

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 4:25PM
jbranch

Bobsmyuncle - thanks for the link. My next project is a new workbench. I am leaning towards a radical design shown in Tools and Shops I think last year. It is basically two saw horses with two box beams as work surfaces. I hesitate starting the project because I have always had the traditional workbench w/tail vise, etc.

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 10:21AM
bobismyuncle

before commiting to any design, I'd also checking out the following book and taking a quick read of it.

There is no one "best" workbench. The scale of projects, the number of projects active at one time, the type of work you do (hand, power, stationary tools, repair, etc.) and the type of projects (turned, carved, joined casegoods, chairs, etc.) determine which would might work best for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Workbench

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
sanding sealer on cherry?
Hi all! I'm having a painter do some new doors along...
Fori is not pleased
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Wood Countertop Oil? Tung vs Mineral
I am going in 2 different directions for my Island...
2LittleFishies
Fence construction & what to use for finish
My fence is coming along nicely! Started last fall...
kashka_kat
Will these trees make good lumber?
I've got 2 fallen catalpa trees that have remained...
mshepherd2
Sponsored Products
Smart Solar Path & Landscape Lights San Rafael Estate Mission Solar Candle
$50.39 | Home Depot
Mario Industries Beige Cut Corner Square Single Replacement Lamp Shade 93401
$49.97 | Home Depot
Dale Tiffany Lamps 26 in. Simons Light Antique Brass Table Lamp GT10225
Home Depot
Westbury Embroidered Hourglass Brass Swing Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Bedroom Lamp: Catherine 14 in. Incandescent Pistachio Table Lamp with Fabric Sha
$59.71 | Home Depot
Tiffany Table Lamp: Designer Collection 14.5 in. Brass Table Lamp with Amber Sha
Home Depot
Two-Piece Gold Orchid Serving Set
$115.00 | Horchow
Proscapes Path & Landscape Lights Low Voltage LED Aged Brass 0.3-Watt
$29.97 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™