Slidng patio doors

jasperdogDecember 14, 2012

There's a lot of information on here about windows, but not so much about patio doors. We are looking at fiberglass windows and patio doors. The patio doors will be 8ft tall. Our local Marvin rep says we would not be happy with the Integrity All-Ultrex door due to flimsiness and difficulty/noisiness when opening and closing. He suggests that the Wood-Ultrex is a better quality door. Anyone have any experience with these doors?

We are also looking at Inline. How are their patio doors? We do not have a local dealer, so can not see or try one out in person.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

I don't have any inclination to think that the wood/ultrex combo is any more solid but it is worlds prettier.

Andersen makes a nice door in wood.

Are you set on wood, fiberglass, etc or is vinyl a consideration?

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 11:14AM
jasperdog

I would like to go all fiberglass. The house design is fairly modern and I like the idea of not having to finish or refinish wood trim. Plus it's one more decision I would have to make - stain or paint? What color? If I do all fiberglass it eliminates that decision making. Vinyl is not a consideration.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 11:17PM
PRO
Windows on Washington

Look at InLine or the Marvin Infinity then.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 10:00AM
jasperdog

WoW, Have you used the Inline doors? How smooth do they slide? Are they reasonably quiet when you open and close them?

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 12:12AM
PRO
Windows on Washington

jasperdog,

I haven't used the InLine door but there products are so well engineered (over engineered for that matter) that I wouldn't suspect the door to be any different.

It probably weighs a metric ton like their windows do and is built for a nuclear blast.

You will never hear more groans at our office than you do the day an InLine delivery comes in.

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 8:51AM
jasperdog

I can appreciate that. The estimate for shipping on our window and door bid is not cheap.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
Whistling in windows with big gusts
Hello, I had new Okna 500s installed this past spring...
sgilliatt
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™