code question: surface wiring in garage

jaansuJune 22, 2011

I installed some old kitchen cabinets in my garage as a work and storage station recently. I'd like to install some light fixtures underneath the wall cabinets. Is it likely to be legit to run the Romex from the fixtures, straight back to the wall, then along the wall/cabinet inside corner over to a dedicated j-box? It won't be protected but there is little chance of damage to the plastic sheathing.

I'm installing a switch for the two lights on the bottom face of the wall cabinet. The Romex will extend into the cabinet interior as well.

This sound safe to you or should I place it in some sort of conduit where it is on the wall?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron Natalie

As far as the NEC is concerned exposed wiring that follows the finished surface is fine. There's nothing special that prohibits it from garage as long as your local inspector doesn't think it's subject to physical damage.

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 12:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

If you think parts of the exposed cable may be subject to 'casual damage', you may protect those sections by running the cable through PVC or metal conduit. It may also look neater.

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Wiring Ceiling fan
I have a new ceiling fan with a light. The fan has...
jjp2121
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™