AFCI receptacle availability?

ntruroJune 14, 2010

I'd like to install AFCI protection in our bedrooms. However, because the circuits are wired with shared neutrals, AFCI breakers cannot be installed. I've seen some discussion of AFCI receptacles on the Internet, but can't find anyone who sells them. Are they available?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

get a double pole AFCI circuit breaker

    Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 12:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

As of yet there is no such thing as an AFCI receptacle.

    Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 1:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My understanding is the entire branch circuit has to be protected anyway so any non breaker device would have to be installed right next to the service panel. I can't remember where the info is from (heard it in a class) but the only other AFCI devices is a dead front device that installs in a box and has to be mounted something like 6 feet or less from the panel and be connected with a metallic raceway. Not certain to that however as I can not remember the exact information. The intent of an AFCI is to protect to just receptacles, lights, etc. but to also protect any wiring on the circuit.

    Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 1:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Found this on the internet. I think the catch was that the code specifies how to install it without using an AFCI breaker but no-one makes such a thing.

Exception No. 1: The AFCI-protection device can be located at the first outlet if the circuit conductors are installed in RMC, IMC, EMT or steel Type AC, and the AFCI device is contained in a metal outlet or junction box.

Author's comment: Type MC cable without a bare aluminum grounding/bonding conductor does not fall within the scope of this exception because the armor cable is thinner than that of Type AC cable.

    Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 1:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

yea.... yet another instance of them putting stuff into the NEC before the actual product even exists. Really grinds my gears when they do still like that.

in your situation it looks like a double pole AFCI breaker is the only option, unless you can somehow pull a new 2 wire circuit in. I know for sure Siemens makes double pole AFCI's but have no clue if other brands do??
No clue on the cost either. It very well could be cheaper if you have the means to just pull in a new circuit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Double pole AFCI

    Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 1:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hexus, thanks for your suggestion regarding two-pole AFCI breakers. Neither I nor the 3 local supply houses I called knew they existed. Even Siemens hasn't educated its employees about them - I was routed to 3 different departments before anyone could even find the part number from their website (Q215AFC) in their inventory system.

    Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 5:51PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Installing 220/240V. 50/60Hz appliances from Europe
I hope to install a "Domino" modular system...
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
Searching Electrical Wiring board
Is there a way to search the Electrical Wiring board...
Can you make a splice inside one of these?
The reason I ask is my neighbor's house was destroyed...
Goodbye Phone Jack: what to do with wires?
We want to remove this phone jack. It's in a useless...
Sponsored Products
Holly 5 Piece King Bedroom Set in Espresso Dark Brown
$956.00 | LexMod
Emerson Leather Sofa - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Kyle Wall Sconce No. 8801 by Quoizel
$149.99 | Lumens
PLC Lighting Flush Mounts 1-Light Outdoor Ceiling Bronze Flush Mount with Matte
Home Depot
Afina Signature Collection Double Door 27W x 21H in. Recessed Medicine Cabinet M
$658.00 | Hayneedle
Great Plains Rug 6' x 9' - CREAM
$1,749.00 | Horchow
Haystack Allure Wool Rug
$59.99 | zulily
Safavieh Vintage Caramel Viscose Rug (2'2 x 8')
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™