Four-way switch problem

blackhorse16aJune 22, 2013

I have a four-way switch controlling just one light. It was working fine. I replaced one of the two 3-way switches and it stopped working correctly. Now, all three work only in certain combinations.

I never touched the 4-way or other 3-way. I have double checked that the hot wire is on the proper terminal on both 3-ways. What could be going on here??

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

I recently replaced a 3-way switch and the replacement looked identical to what I took out. However, after reviewing the spec sheet, I realized that the manufacturer had switched the terminals around. I know you say that the hot wire is on the proper terminal, but is that based on wiring it up with the wires in the same positions, or on having absolutely verified what all of the terminals are? Don't mean to be insulting...just throwing out a possibility.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 1:11PM
blackhorse16a

My lack of electrical understanding is so low, insult is impossible :)

I did verify the hot and connected it to the dark colored terminal that has no screw opposite it. Thinking more about it, I figured the only other reasonable possibility is that the hot was still on the wrong terminal, so I swapped the blacks and now all is good.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 2:24PM
kudzu9

Congrats!

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™