Fiberglass entry door window grill questions

dryslickDecember 15, 2009

I have a question regarding the window grill options that are typical in new replacement fiberglass doors and sidelights colonial trim. Right now, weÂre considering replacement of our door and weÂre looking at a Therma-Tru smooth-star (model S236).

I was disappointed to learn that the grill width for their "fixed" option, which is applied on both the exterior and interior sides is only a ½ inch wide. I would have thought it would be a wider grill to more closely simulate older wood doors and sidelights. The grill width in our current wood door with the four small windows at the top is 1 3/8".

Would anyone know if the ½" grill is typical for entry door systems? Are there other door manufacturers we should consider that might have a thicker grill option? Our door and sidelights will have traditional rectangular openings.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mattymog

Weather Shield or Peachtree will make an entry door with a wide SDL (simulated divided lite) bar to mock the old wood grille option

Bookmark   December 16, 2009 at 1:16PM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

I would also look at Provia and Household Metals Inc (HMI)

Bookmark   December 16, 2009 at 1:32PM
dryslick

mattymog and windowsonwashington,

Thanks for those options. IÂll check them out tonight. I had looked at Provia a while back and I didnÂt think they had a four square openings in the top of the door. I think I only saw two. IÂll re-check tonight.

Our lunch, I found out that Jeld-wen offers a 7/8" "fixed grille" option in their doors but they are unclear on what fixed grille means. Their PDF states "Fixed grille options include various simulated divided lite (SDL) patterns for an authentic look.". However, the grills are only shown in a "Gilles between the glass" section of the PDF so it isnÂt clear if they provide an interior and exterior grille with the bar between the glass.

Thanks again

Bookmark   December 16, 2009 at 3:14PM
dryslick

Mattymog,

I was just on PeachtreeÂs site and saw what you were talking about. Peachtree offers exterior Colonial doors with clear glass 7/8" SDL gills including a spacer bar. That is exactly what I was looking for. However, I haven't heard good things about Peachtree windows. IÂm going to create a new post to see if anyone has opinions specifically on Peachtree doors.

Thanks for your input

Bookmark   December 16, 2009 at 9:09PM
More Discussions
Alside Mezzo Window Reviews
I was shown the alside mezzo window by a local contractor....
applex
Windows E-store windows (ECOXtreme)
We are looking at several new construction windows...
Jennifer
Plantation Shutters Pros/Cons, need advice
Hi, I'm new to this website and owning a home so forgive...
rehsanipoor
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
song_ca
Love my New Front Door, But It's Still Cold in Entryway
I have my new steel entry door installed with new sidelites....
sahmmy_gw
Sponsored Products
Line Credenza
Design Within Reach
Crosley Butcher Block Top Kitchen Island with 24 in. Upholstered Square Seat Sto
$799.00 | Hayneedle
Classic Home Furniture - Wood 2 Door Cabinet In Brown - 59023995
Great Furniture Deal
Bath Authority DreamLine UNIDOOR Frameless Adjustable Shower Door (54"-55")
Modern Bathroom
Copperton Manhattan Copper 7-Inch Wide Two-Light Outdoor Wall Mount
$399.90 | Bellacor
What a Nut Door Stopper
$14.99 | Dot & Bo
Barska Laptop-size Keypad Safe
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
McKinley Credenza with Glass Doors
Zuri Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™