replacing window sashes

djm253525December 22, 2005

I have ANdersen windows in my home. The house was built in 89/90. THe windows are are painted white interior and clad outside. Can I just replace the sashes? I want the interior wood so I can stain it. I don't like the painted white trim.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chimayo

Marvin's "tilt-pac" is a sash replacement kit that meets the requirements you mention. The only thing I don't like about it is that the vinyl jamb-liners are so visible.

Weathershield makes the same thing. I haven't seen those in person yet, but they look nice online.

Bookmark   December 24, 2005 at 11:29AM
van356

When Andersen came out with their tilt window, they were making tilt replacement sash kits to replace older Andersen sashes, just as you describe. I don't know if they still make it. An Andersen dealer (not HD,etc) should be able to help you.

Bookmark   December 26, 2005 at 11:31AM
norcalbl

If you just want a sash replacement, meaning no frame replacement,sash only, then you need an insert (Marvin's name for sash replacement). Go to Marvin.com for a dealer near you and check them out. I don't know what other companies call their products.

Bookmark   January 9, 2006 at 8:48AM
Chimayo

Marvin's sash replacement kit is called the Tilt-pac, not the insert. Go to their website and search for tilt-pac. I believe Weathershield also makes a sash replacement kit.

Bookmark   January 10, 2006 at 2:42PM
norcalbl

Marvin Tilt Pac requires removal of the original frame and are put into a rough opening. The Insert system is a sash replacement into the existing frame.

Bookmark   January 10, 2006 at 9:06PM
norcalbl

Ok, Ok, I was wrong about the frame replacement. Tilt pac offers a double hung sash replacement, Insert is also a sash replacement, but offer the Ultimate Double Hung option. Neither one requires the frame to be removed.

Bookmark   January 10, 2006 at 9:15PM
dkb1105

JELD-WEN makes a SASH replacement window in their Caradco Collection called ZapPack, and they can be purchased at any Home Depot store. Most Home Depot stores have a JELD-WEN window display in their millworks department. These windows can be ordered with different divided lites (e.g. Grills-between the Glass, Removable wood interior, Simulated divided lites, etc.) with traditional or custom grill patterns. They are available in all wood or Clad-Wood in 6 colors and can be ordered in standard and custom sizes. Home Depot also carries Anderson Window products, and have a display as well, but I was told that Anderson did not have a SASH replacment window.

www.jeld-wen.com

Bookmark   January 17, 2006 at 1:54AM
More Discussions
What replacement window is 'BEST'?
I have decided to have new windows installed in my...
changeling
Love my New Front Door, But It's Still Cold in Entryway
I have my new steel entry door installed with new sidelites....
sahmmy_gw
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
Scherer Bros Windows Rotting
We have just learned our bottom window sashes are badly...
talkingtony
And then there were 3 - new build window package quotes in - thoughts?
So we have final bids on the 3 options we are down...
dfb_jlw
Sponsored Products
Set of Two Legato Outdoor Torch Replacement Snuffers
$15.00 | FRONTGATE
Concept Cordless LED Picture Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Lithonia DSXPG D-Series 37W LED Parking Garage Ceiling Light
LBC Lighting
FreeJack LED Melt Pendant
Lightology
Ava Entertainment Chest
$1,759.00 | Horchow