replacing window sashes

djm253525December 22, 2005

I have ANdersen windows in my home. The house was built in 89/90. THe windows are are painted white interior and clad outside. Can I just replace the sashes? I want the interior wood so I can stain it. I don't like the painted white trim.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Marvin's "tilt-pac" is a sash replacement kit that meets the requirements you mention. The only thing I don't like about it is that the vinyl jamb-liners are so visible.

Weathershield makes the same thing. I haven't seen those in person yet, but they look nice online.

    Bookmark   December 24, 2005 at 11:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

When Andersen came out with their tilt window, they were making tilt replacement sash kits to replace older Andersen sashes, just as you describe. I don't know if they still make it. An Andersen dealer (not HD,etc) should be able to help you.

    Bookmark   December 26, 2005 at 11:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you just want a sash replacement, meaning no frame replacement,sash only, then you need an insert (Marvin's name for sash replacement). Go to for a dealer near you and check them out. I don't know what other companies call their products.

    Bookmark   January 9, 2006 at 8:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Marvin's sash replacement kit is called the Tilt-pac, not the insert. Go to their website and search for tilt-pac. I believe Weathershield also makes a sash replacement kit.

    Bookmark   January 10, 2006 at 2:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Marvin Tilt Pac requires removal of the original frame and are put into a rough opening. The Insert system is a sash replacement into the existing frame.

    Bookmark   January 10, 2006 at 9:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Ok, Ok, I was wrong about the frame replacement. Tilt pac offers a double hung sash replacement, Insert is also a sash replacement, but offer the Ultimate Double Hung option. Neither one requires the frame to be removed.

    Bookmark   January 10, 2006 at 9:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

JELD-WEN makes a SASH replacement window in their Caradco Collection called ZapPack, and they can be purchased at any Home Depot store. Most Home Depot stores have a JELD-WEN window display in their millworks department. These windows can be ordered with different divided lites (e.g. Grills-between the Glass, Removable wood interior, Simulated divided lites, etc.) with traditional or custom grill patterns. They are available in all wood or Clad-Wood in 6 colors and can be ordered in standard and custom sizes. Home Depot also carries Anderson Window products, and have a display as well, but I was told that Anderson did not have a SASH replacment window.

    Bookmark   January 17, 2006 at 1:54AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
What replacement window is 'BEST'?
I have decided to have new windows installed in my...
Love my New Front Door, But It's Still Cold in Entryway
I have my new steel entry door installed with new sidelites....
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
Scherer Bros Windows Rotting
We have just learned our bottom window sashes are badly...
And then there were 3 - new build window package quotes in - thoughts?
So we have final bids on the 3 options we are down...
Sponsored Products
Set of Two Legato Outdoor Torch Replacement Snuffers
$15.00 | FRONTGATE
Concept Cordless LED Picture Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Lithonia DSXPG D-Series 37W LED Parking Garage Ceiling Light
LBC Lighting
FreeJack LED Melt Pendant
Ava Entertainment Chest
$1,759.00 | Horchow
Nebbia Amber Glass Nickel LED Tech Lighting MonoRail Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
MC 134717-R 5C Green Wire 100 LED Christmas Net Light
Grohe Seabury Thermostat Trim with Lever Handle - Sterling Infinity Finish
Modern Bathroom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™