Underground wiring

don_1_2006June 14, 2011

Is there an equivalent to 14/2 UF that is stranded? If so how is it designated?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No there isnt an equivalent thats stranded. What can be done is install non-metallic rigid conduit(electrical pvc) in the ground at the required depth(24" from grade to the top of the conduit meets all requirements) and use THHN instead of a sheathed cable. Both ends of the conduit must be terminated into a box such as a Bell box.

    Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 1:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Okay thanks.

    Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 2:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Given that you specified UF, it implies a wet location, and therefore you need THWN. Most wire is rated both THHN and THWN, but it always pays to check.

    Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 2:41PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™