Help with loft bed construction
Hopefully, this is the right forum. I'm planning to build what you might call a triple-loft bed. I've included a drawing. The loft would fit into 2 corners of my kids' bedroom. The plan is to use:
- 2x6 doug fir, attached to the walls (studs) where possible
- 4x4's for the ladder, notched to support the 2x6's
- 2x2's + 1x6 slats + 3/4" plywood for mattress support
Obviously, I still need to work on the railings.
My questions are:
- how should I attached the 2x6's along the walls (into studs)? Lag bolts? What size? Will these FastenMasters work - http://www.fastenmaster.com/product....tID=8&prodID=9
- How should I attach the 2x6's where they meet? Lags through one 2x6 into the end of another? How about angle brackets on the inside?
- Will 2x6 doug fir comfortably span the 78 3/16" shown? Should I use 2x8's instead?
- Is the cantilivered corner OK? - the distance to the 4x4 post is 19"
- Is the mattress support OK?
I'm also interested in any other suggestions/advice anyone might have. Thanks.