Woodturner/ Cabinet Maker's Apron?

ttoddNovember 8, 2011

Hi all! I've never posted over here before. For the past 10+ yrs. I've always been on the Home Decorating Forum of GW but I thought maybe I'd get some more 'hands-on' feedback w/ this question.

DH and I just purchased the furniture refinishing/ repair shop that he's worked at and loved for years. He'd mentioned in passing that he'd love to get a really good quality apron. He's gone out and purchased a few very simple, inexpensive aprons so for Christmas I'd like to surprise him w/ something really nice that will last him a long time.

No idea where to start, what to look for or anything so I was wondering if any of you might have suggestions.

Thank you so much - I'm so excited for him!

Oh and also there is another item that I'd be interested in. I always remember a 'branding' iron type tool that my dad had in his woodworking shop. It had his initials on it so that he could brand his pieces. Any thoughts on where I might find something like that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

I think you need to define what you want in an apron:

- For refinishing, a long rubberized apron to keep the stripper, bleach, stain, and finishes off your cloths

- For turning, a high collar, perhaps longer sleeve apron, no pockets, to keep chips out of your clothes, pockets, and openings such as neck and sleeves.

- For cabinet making, most people like them with a lot of pockets to hold oft-used things such as pencils, measuring and marking tools, chuck keys, screwdrivers, etc. Again, protection from glue, sawdust, and the odd-finish splash off your clothing is a side benefit.

Almost all the tool suppliers -- Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley, etc. have a selection of aprons. Woodturning and wood finishing specialty houses will have turning and finishing aprons, respectively.

Here is a link that might be useful: See here for branding irons

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 6:23PM
randy427

You might also check out Duluth Trading Company products

Here is a link that might be useful: Duluth Trading Company website

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 6:21PM
ttodd

Thank you very much! I hadn't even thought about the various aprons and their uses. They have the rubberized aprons for stripping.

He does a lot of work turning legs, arms, spindles, etc. so I think that maybe 2 aprons would be in order for him. I think that I'll start w/ the cabinet makers apron since he is regularly carrying tools and stuff around in his current aprons.

I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions of places to check!

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 8:53AM
sombreuil_mongrel

A leather apron, no pockets, is preferable for turning. When using a roughing gouge, the chips are flying everywhere, and a pocket will get full of shavings, dust, chips very fast. The leather is for personal protection and dust-shedding.
Casey

Bookmark   November 11, 2011 at 5:29PM
lazypup

In keeping with what Casey said above, you can't beat a leather apron but I will caution you to be prepared for a bit of sticker shock as you price them...However, while they may seem a bit pricey they are really a bargan in the end, because if you get a good quality leather apron and take care of it, it will last a lifetime.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 12:48AM
rwiegand

The woodturner's smock from Craft Supplies is nice--at least once you get used to the zipper being installed "backwards" (at least they were when I got mine--they were from Australia then, one of the odd effects of being in the southern hemisphere, I guess.)

Leather can be hot and heavy, great for blacksmithing, but way overkill for turning.

Here is a link that might be useful: woodturner's smock

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
bossyvossy
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Kitchen Island panel made from veneer??
So we just had custom cabinets made for our kitchen...
kluken
Need help with staining alder cabinets
Can someone share with me the right way to stain the...
aktillery9
paint or restain moldings
I have a 28 year old view home with dark bronze aluminum...
kimkollie
Sponsored Products
Rockford Carbon Oak Saddle Stained Wood Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
GLOBE Classic White LED Under Cabinet Puck Lights (3-Pack ) 25787
$69.00 | Home Depot
Teton Home Wood Two Doors Cabinet AF-002
Beyond Stores
Curved Iron Pull
Signature Hardware
Black Whitehaus WHQD540 Fireclay 36'' Single Bowl Farmhouse Kitchen Sink
$659.00 | Blue Bath