Stupid Newbie Question

cbarkstonNovember 7, 2010

We're looking to buy a home with knotty pine woodwork with a clear finish. It's way too rustic for the house and our tastes. We'd love to stain it a nice, rich, warmer stain but there's so much of it throughout the house---it would be a ton of work to do ourselves and too much expense to pay someone else. Do you think we could get away with just adding a darker stain without sanding everything down? If not---what would be the entire process to stain darker? Thank you in advance for your (gentle) responses!

Below is a link to a photo of what we would like it to look like:

Here is a link that might be useful: Darker, richer, prettier stain

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Depending upon what's on there now and how much darker you want it to be, you might be able to get by with a glaze.
You can use a glaze to darken (within limits), alter the hue, and "dirty up" the finish to give it a richer look. Glazing is very forgiving because you can wipe or brush it to get it your satisfaction, or even remove most of it during the process.

You have to cover the glaze with another coat of finish, one compatible with both the base layer and the glaze.

If this was already your house, you could experiment with glazing the inside of a door somewhere. But since you have not bought it yet, you might have to look at the photos below and take an educated guess.

The other technique is to use a toner, a finish with color in it. However, you almost always have to spray on a toner to get an even color. You need to apply it light and with a good deal of skill (i.e., experience) Do not be tempted to use the all-in-one products such as Polyshades. It's nasty stuff and very difficult to get to look good at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: glazing

    Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 1:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The first thing you need to do is determine the type of finish that is already on the wood. Then you need to meticulously clean it and find out the finish is in good shape and adhers well. Repair any damage such as chips, scratches, marks, water damage, ect. After all is canny, you are ready to stain to give it a light sanding and stain.
If the finish on the wood is oil based, you can use a lacquer stain or alcohol based stain. These must be sprayed on. They way you save money is to do the prep work and taping off yourself. Then the stain needs to be applied very lightly so it doesn't raise the original finish.

    Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 3:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Not a stupid question at all and I am sure the responses you received will help a lot of folks including me. johnny

    Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 1:33PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
Need help with staining alder cabinets
Can someone share with me the right way to stain the...
protecting black walnut salt and pepper mill
Hi all, Just got a set of gorgeous discontinued William...
Advice on finishing outdoor cypress mantel
Hello all, I have a wood finishing dilemma. I have...
Jack Mason
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
Sponsored Products
Top-SI Coax Clear Fusion Jack Mini Pendant
$200.88 | Bellacor
AICO Furniture - Excelsior Marble Top Bar - 59500
Great Furniture Deal
Tube LED Bath Bar
Otis Comfort Collection Tamarack Mattress - 12TM2
$299.99 | Hayneedle
36-inch Stainless Steel Cook Number Grill on Cart
Mini-Monty Mocha Fusion Jack LED Mini Pendant
$312.48 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™