Window primer?

GreenHighlighterDecember 3, 2012

Hi all --

We're about to start a major remodel and home addition and our contractor wants us to look into windows first. Is there a good primer we could read on windows before meeting with him and hitting some shops? Right now, I have no clue about anything, but people keep mentioning Marvin and the windows that are plastic or metal or something on the outside and wood on the inside (it's a good budget option?).

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

These boards are a great starting point and there are several other discussion boards on the same subject matter.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 8:08AM
mmarse1

Please do research and be aware that all vinyl windows do not look or perform like most of the junk you will find at Home Depot, lowes, and other supply stores.
There are high performance vinyl windows that look very nice and perform much better than a wood window .
Higher end vinyl Brands would be:
Okna , HiMark, Soft Lite, Sunrise, Gorell, Starmark

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 10:13AM
GreenHighlighter

Hmm... I thought I replied but I don't see it up...

Anyway, thanks to both of you. I did find this primer: http://windows.lbl.gov/pub/selectingwindows/window.pdf (posting it here in case anyone else comes across this thread looking for help).

I did contact Okna b/c I saw a lot of recommendations for them on this board, but they don't sell in California.

One question after reading that primer. How important is the u-factor and solar gain/loss in a moderate climate? I live near San Francisco, and our weather is in the 40s-50s in the winter and 70s-80s in the summer. But we do have on one of our floors, one wall that's almost completely all windows facing west.

Thanks! And I'm sure I'll have more questions after we meet with a salesman.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
Privacy Glass?
I'm planning new windows for a master bath, and want...
numbersjunkie
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
Matching window/patio door hardware to interior doors?
..reposted in remodeling... We will have white interior...
happyallison
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
jackrh97
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™