Anyone know the Wood Horse Racing Game?

lil_buddyNovember 8, 2006

Hi all

I am hoping someone here will help me find instructions to play the "horsey game", as it is known in my family.

My Dad made this wooden game years ago, and has since passed away, now my Mom and her friends would like to play it when they get together, but none of them remember how. I have googled it, but don't really know what to call it, and can only find board games that have specialized dice and/or cards.

I believe the homemade version is played with both dice and playing cards that move your 'horse' to the finish line. I have heard of others playing this homemade version, so I know it isn't something he created and I gave up on searching board game sites and thought perhaps other woodworkers would know it. Unfortunately all I have found is backgammon and checkers on other woodworking sites.

If anyone knows the how to play, or just the correct name (the bought game was called Winners Circle) I would very much appreciate if you took the time to answer this post.

Thanks for reading

lil_buddy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Could it be a cribbage board? If so...google Cribbage rules and you will get the whole scoop...of google hoyle and cribbage.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Cribbage

Bookmark   November 8, 2006 at 6:04PM
woodswell

Is this the game?

Here is a link that might be useful: WOODEN HORSE RACE GAME

Bookmark   November 15, 2006 at 12:48AM
lindac

Interesting....your link goes around in circles just like a cribbage board....

Bookmark   November 15, 2006 at 10:00PM
woodswell

lindac,

Sheesh - I shouldn't try to post links when I'm all drugged up for my bad knee! Here - hope this is the right page:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rules for the Wooden horse races game

Bookmark   November 16, 2006 at 9:30PM
lindac

Nope....not Cribbage.....
don't know nuffin' 'bout no horserace game, Miz Scarlett.
Sorry.

Bookmark   November 17, 2006 at 11:33PM
finnone

Yes, I know the Wooden Horse Racing Game. The board has holes drilled in it, you put golf t's in the holes to portray the horses. You use a deck of cards minus the Kings. You use two dice to move the horses. Rules are as follows on a previous post, but there is a template to make the board which is quite simple, but must be made according to the template because it is a game of odds. If you need a copy of the template, I can email it to you via photo.

Bookmark   November 28, 2006 at 8:31PM
twinmom71

Would you please e-mail the template to me? My husband and I want to make the game for my father in law for Christmas.
Thank you :)

Bookmark   December 1, 2006 at 1:30PM
cher0428

Would someone please send me the template for making the Wood Horse Racing Game? I would love to make it for my husband's b'day January 31st.

Thank you.

Bookmark   December 27, 2006 at 3:32PM
jblumhardt

Hello! Would someone be kind enough to email the template and directions for the wood horse racing game. I have been looking all over for it and this is the only site that someone knew what I was talking about. Thank you very much in advanced.

Bookmark   January 6, 2007 at 8:44PM
oldbaldi

can someone send me the template for this game? is the game got a copyright?

Bookmark   January 7, 2007 at 1:24PM
oldbaldi

send to oldbaldi@juno.com

Bookmark   January 7, 2007 at 1:28PM
denisemp

I am also looking for the template for the race horsinf game.................

Bookmark   January 13, 2007 at 2:56PM
iamhip

Would someone be kind enough to email the template and directions for the wood horse racing game.

Bookmark   February 4, 2007 at 2:13PM
commitable2

Could someone please send me the template also my in laws loaned theirs out and it has not returned I would also like to make one for myself.. PLEASE Email the template to commitable2@yahoo.com

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 7:15PM
mrdave

HORSE RACING RULES
Using a regular deck of cards, remove all aces and kings leaving 44 cards (two through queen).
Set up horses in numerical order.
Dealer deals all cards to the players until all 44 cards are dealt. Some people may end up with more cards than others.

First person to the left of dealer rolls both dice. The total number is the first "money" horse. Move this horse back one space BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards that card and pays the pot. Example: A 2 & 5 are rolled. The 7 horse is moved back one space. Anyone with a 7 in their hand throws it in the discard pile and puts 25 cents in the pot. If someone has two 7s, they will throw 50 cents in the pot and discard both 7Âs, three 7Âs is 75 cents, and four 7Âs is $1.00. Now anytime a 7 is rolled, the person rolling the dice will add 25 cents to the pot.

Then next person to the left rolls both dice. The total number is the second "money" horse. Move this horse back two spaces BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards that card and pays the pot (50 cents) for each card. If the person happens to roll the previous number (say the 7 from the example) they will pay the 25 cents and roll again.

The next person to the left rolls both dice. The total number is the third "money" horse. Move this horse back three spaces BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards that card and pays the pot (75 cents) for each card. If the person happens to roll either of the previous numbers (say the 7 from the example) they will pay the amount for the number and roll again.
The next person to the left rolls both dice. The total number is the fourth and last "money" horse. Move this horse back four spaces BEHIND the line. Anyone holding this number in their hand discards that card and pays the pot ($1.00) for each card. If the person happens to roll either of the previous numbers (say the 7 from the example) they will pay the amount for the number and roll again. These four horse will not move again during this game.

Now the game can begin! The next person rolls the dice. The total of the dice indicates the number horse to move one space FORWARD. If a "money" horse number is rolled, the person who rolled it pays the pot the required amount and the dice are passed to the next player. Continue rolling the dice, moving horses forward or paying the pot until one horse reaches the end. The first horse to reach the finish line (last space) is the winner. All players holding that number card wins a fourth of the pot. If a player is holding two winning cards they receive half the pot, three winning cards will receive three quarters of the pot, and four winning cards will receive all of the pot. If there is any extra money that can not be split equally will stay in the pot for the next game.
Continue the next game the same way with the person to the left of the previous deal now the new dealer.

ENJOY!! AND GOOD LUCK!!

Bookmark   December 4, 2007 at 8:02PM
techy

Could someone please email the template to me. I need this for my wife's 40th b-day party which is in two days. My email address is dhoerlein1@cinci.rr.com.

Thank you!!

Bookmark   December 20, 2007 at 9:19AM
grace1148

Could somebody please email me the template as well. I absolutely love this game and have been trying to find it to make my own. My email is cgsearson@juno.com

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 9:57AM
chip-2008

Could someone please send me a horsey game template also. I would like to get this as soon as I can because I would like to make it for my dear old grandfather. I need the one that has golf tees and the holes drilled into the board. My email address is micekfamily@hotmail.com

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 10:51PM
mongoct

Could you post the plans here?

Mongo

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 5:54PM
micdot

DO you think that you would be able to send me the plans to this game? My daughter keeps talking about it and we would love to make it together! Thanks so much, my email is mdkaehler@qwest.net

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 10:13AM
denisemac

i would love a template of the game. Its a blast.

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 3:48PM
denisemac

i would love a copy of the template

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 4:04PM
scherff_goldenwest_net

I would like a copy of the template also.

Thank you.

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 8:51AM
jschirico

Could you send me a copy of the template also.
Thank you.

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 10:20AM
jkmccutchen

I am wanting to get a template of this game....

Please send me as soon as possible. I want to show some friends this game this weekend.

send to me at:

keith@mccutchenfamily.info

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 10:01PM
skanman14

wow...that's a lotta template, did anyone actually find one? the last time i remeber this post popping up was well over a month ago, whta happened? if anyone found one may i suggest posting it up on a new thread oh...

and id like a template also, post a new thread when anyone finds one

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 11:47AM
finnishsisu

I have googled everything I can think of for the pattern for this game with no results. I would so appreciate the pattern for this game from onyone who might have it. Thank you so much.

Bookmark   August 24, 2008 at 11:26AM
deadbird_tc

I'd love a copy of the pattern of the wood horse racing game.

Could you send it to deadbird@suddenlink.net

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Tom

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 12:17PM
jessehanson2001

Could I please get the template of the game too?
THanks a lot!!

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 10:37AM
northerngal3

Hi, I too would love a copy of the pattern for this game as well. Please send to lizzypots@hotmail.com

thank-you

Bookmark   November 13, 2008 at 11:38PM
skanman14

...this post is now about four months old..

Bookmark   November 18, 2008 at 5:40PM
cynthiamarie_2008

I've tried to get in touch with MICHSNOWBUNIE further up on this posting who states they have it, but haven't been able to. Has anyone obtained the pattern to make this game? If so would someone Pretty Please e-mail it to me at cindyandnickd@yahoo.com Thank you:-)

Bookmark   December 5, 2008 at 4:42PM
magnet123

Hello,

Can somebody please send me a template, pattern or plan for this Wooden Horse Racing Game? Please send it to gair12cl@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Bookmark   December 21, 2008 at 6:59PM
csesta_gmail_com

Don't know if this forum is still active, but I just recently discovered this game via some friends over the past weekend and fell in love with it. So, the next day I made my own template and built my board. Great game!

Bookmark   December 28, 2008 at 1:30AM
chriss_grow

So, I built my board and I'm pretty pleased with it and how simple it is to make.

Materials:
Wood OSB 4'x 8' - cut game board to 50"x 30"

Felt - 1 yrd Green for game board and 1 yrd Black for backing (optional)

Adhesive Spray for felt

Tacks - wrap green felt edges to back of board and tack

Stencils - Lettering / I made the horse stencils

Black Fabric Pen for lettering, lines and graphics - You'll probably want more than one seeing that it takes a lot of ink to go onto the felt. I used 3 or 4 pens

Horses - I got these at a local dollar store - my wife made the racing blankets for the horses and glued numbers to them by using felt.

Dimensions of inner squares 2.5" x 5" - I used a yard stick to keep everything in line.

I'm pretty sure that's it. It's pretty cheap only cost me about $40 bucks to make. Well worth it for the amount of fun you get playing it.

The rules are the same as "mrdave" posted except i just made squares for the "money" horses.

Here's some pics!

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   December 28, 2008 at 2:09AM
kenkel22

this is great! I played this game years ago at a Kentucky Derby party. I would love to have a template to create race horse wooden cutouts. In our experience, the grid was actually marked out in chalk on a driveway or in a garage floor in case of rain and the game was played with lifesize game pieces (hence the racehorse cutout needed). The markers stood a couple feet off the ground and were moved by each person playing in that round. SO much fun! Thank you for posting this info! If someone could tell me the best type of saw and wood to use to make something like this and let me know where I could find a template that would be great!

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 9:55AM
donlebrun_att_net

I also would like you to mail me a template of this game board. I played it many years ago and roughed it out on a piece of note paper and placed in my personal file. When I pulled it out to make the board I couldn't understand my scratching. Thank you in advance.

Bookmark   December 28, 2010 at 8:09PM
benrouted

I made this horse race game board in 2009. The board was lined and routed, then stained. Letting the stain settle into the routed lines makes them darker than the surface. I used vinyl decals to label the board and then coated the surface with multiple coats of polyurethane.

The horses & jockeys are plastic cake toppers. They come painted identically, so I custom painted the jockey silks to make them each a bit different. The horse cards were purchased online- Horses of the World set. We use 4 pairs of dice and keep one pair in each corner of the board- that way no one has to reach too far across the board to get the dice.

Mini poker chips are used instead of coins- the set I use are sold under the name Poker-to-Go. Finally, I had a small plastic trophy Winners Cup made in which to put the chips when players have to pay into the pot.
Here are some pics.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 8:54AM
sparks5ohs

I know the last post on this was over two years ago, but is anyone able to email me the template for this game? I woudl love to make it for my children for Christmas this year. Thank you!!! mischelle@knitpiky.com

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 3:09PM
shelly1367

I know this post is fairly old but I was wondering if anyone could email me the plans for this horse racing game? Beckfarm2002@hotmail.com

My children played it at a city festival and would love for me to make it for them!

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™