How important is shellac age for a very thin cut?

slateberryNovember 16, 2009

I'm slowly working my way through an extensive panel door refurb in my house--so slowly that I'm worried I need to throw out my shellac and get more.

The doors are poplar, and to get a good finish that matches the original woodwork in the house (which is also poplar), I go through a multistep staining process that layers on the color for an even, rich finish. The first step is a washcoat. For that I use a thin cut of dewaxed shellac in denatured alcohol. A few months ago I did the master bedroom door with a 2 year old mix. It came out fine. Now it's a 2 1/2 year old mix. I'm thinking I'm really pushing it on the esterification. But, maybe for a washcoat application, the esterification isn't an issue--perhaps it only matters for a top finish? Perhaps I should thin the mix with less denatured alcohol, essentially making it a stronger cut, to compensate for the esterification?

On the one hand, I can see the virtue of buying new and starting over. Otoh, I hate to spend the $30 to buy a new gallon and throw away half a gallon of the old stuff, if it's still functioning for the particular needs of what I'm doing with it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

Why not put a few coats on a piece of scrap lumber and find out whether it dries properly or not? If it's shot, it's shot -- no point in trying to use it up. If you need to buy more, consider buying a quart can instead of a gallon. Or, order some dry flakes and mix your own as needed.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 12:02PM
slateberry

Hey Jon, thanks for the tip. I did not know that the esterification interfered with proper drying. That gem of info. set me on a search that yielded a longer discussion of shellac esterification, which happened to mention that in 2002 zinsser obtained a patent on a shellac that has a longer shelf life, even when mixed in a thin cut. Turns out this zinsser seal coat is what I was using! No wonder it was still good. Talk about dumb luck! So the technical discussion gives it a 5 year life, zinsser guarantees for three years, so sounds like I'm safe for at least a couple more months.

What I will do is discard the batch I mixed in a small can with more denatured alcohol, and mix up a new batch from the big can. Apparently the thinner the cut, the faster the degradation, so my custom batch would be the first to go.

Now I don't feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark anymore, but I think next time I'll buy the flakes like you suggested so I don't have to worry about this so much. I think the flakes might degrade even more slowly than I progress on my projects :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: how shellac goes bad

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 1:19PM
brickeyee

If you purchase flakes you can dissolve them on denatured alcohol as needed.

The flakes have a very good shelf life.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
Best clear finish for exterior Douglas Fir door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. Link to Simmons...
kisu
Woodworking tools
If you're in search of high-quality woodworking tools,...
steve_hs
sanding sealer on cherry?
Hi all! I'm having a painter do some new doors along...
Fori is not pleased
Pear tree wood
Is their any value in Pear tree wood? My mother has...
Pooh Bear
Rejuvenating Bedroom Furniture Finish
My DH (he was a custom cabinet maker for many years)...
malna
Sponsored Products
Pelham Collection 10 3/4" High Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Couristan 1522-0712 Recife Natural Indoor/Outdoor Rug Multicolor - 1522071207607
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Lagoon Metal Lailani Outdoor Stool
Cost Plus World Market
Large Modern Floor Lamp with Off-white Drum Shade
ParrotUncle
Tessa Wall Sconce by LBL Lighting
$280.00 | Lumens
Schonbek Rivington 23 1/2" High Gold Crystal Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Wyndham Collection Bathroom Centra 48 in. Vanity in Gray Oak with Solid-Surface
Home Depot
Area Rug: Traditional Mahal Green 9' 10" x 13' 2"